Buying a new lathe

the KDKs are nice and sleek. don't see them much around.

edit: is that piston or wedge driven?

You had asked about the KDK a while ago but I don't think I explained it right, so Here are a couple of pictures.

This one is open waiting for a holder.

KDK 1.JPG

This is the clamping action. You can see it uniformly tightens in the dovetail drawing the holder against the tool post.

KDK 2.JPG

The dowel sticking out is for the height adjustment. There is a set screw in each older the set the height.

Gary

KDK 1.JPG KDK 2.JPG

Gary, see post #100:
If you are making a long cut, it can also move again.
Watch, whenever you decide not to is when it will move. I keep compound tight.

my method:
Start the machine, scale will change, maybe.
Then set the cut, works for unless I forget.

mike

You had asked about the KDK a while ago but I don't think I explained it right, so Here are a couple of pictures.

Gary

Thanks Gary. looks like it's engineered somewhat differently than the Aloris posts in more than one way.

Thanks Gary. looks like it's engineered somewhat differently than the Aloris posts in more than one way.

Both different, but which one is better? Who knows.

Both Aloris and KDK started over 60 years ago, but a few years ago KDK gave it up due to the economy and the owner retiring.

That's nothing to do with which one is better. After all VHS beat out Beta which was reportedly superior in all aspects.

All I can say is that I think the KDK is a great design and I'll be using them until I wear them out and can't find replacements.

No big handle, or screw sticking up in the way. :))

Gary

My PM1236 has a norticable gear noise difference when the feed screw direction lever is engaged so its turning from headstock to tailstock (crossslide toward the middle). Quiet as a mouse in the other direction. I know the lever is a little tempermintal and you can go past the detents and cause the gears to clash, but this is with it in the correct position.

I think that's the nature of the machine. Take the lid off (only 4 -6 simple screws) and have a look inside. All the gears operate with push forks and adjustment is simple/trivial. Whatever you do, unplug and engage the safety and unless you like the taste of oil, don't run it with the lid off.

Ray

My PM1236 has a norticable gear noise difference when the feed screw direction lever is engaged so its turning from headstock to tailstock (crossslide toward the middle). Quiet as a mouse in the other direction. I know the lever is a little tempermintal and you can go past the detents and cause the gears to clash, but this is with it in the correct position.

Does it make the noise at different spindle speeds?

It could just be harmonics at a particular speed. Harmonics can be funny. The speed, weight of chuck or part, position of tailstock... can all induce harmonics. Try changing things and see if it will go away.

Gary

I just changed the oil in mine and happened to have the lid open for a look see. About half the gears are submerged either partially or fully in oil and those don't make noise. A couple of the selector gears are located on a top shaft and are not submerged and I suspect that's the reason they make more noise. Sound doesn't travel well in liquid. There's nothing wrong as far as I can see and those top gears get plenty of lubrication. It takes all of a split second of operation for oil to get splashed up there and they get completely slathered.

Ray

Does it make the noise at different spindle speeds?

It could just be harmonics at a particular speed. Harmonics can be funny. The speed, weight of chuck or part, position of tailstock... can all induce harmonics. Try changing things and see if it will go away.

Gary

It doesn't relate to the speed of the spindle but to the speed of the feed shaft. I looked at some photos posted over on candlepower of the top cover removed and it looks like a very simple shifter arrangement. I will need to take a look inside the cover next week when I change the oil and hopefully the gasket will come off in one piece.

It doesn't relate to the speed of the spindle but to the speed of the feed shaft. I looked at some photos posted over on candlepower of the top cover removed and it looks like a very simple shifter arrangement. I will need to take a look inside the cover next week when I change the oil and hopefully the gasket will come off in one piece.

I was thinking that since the spindle speed will affect the speed of both the threading feed and cutting feed that it might make a difference. I was doing an operation once and got a whine when I shut
the power off. When it went through a certain speed range while slowing down I got the whine. I never had it happen again so I attributed it to my setup.

Taking the top cover off is no big deal. I have had mine off a few times already. My gasket stuck to the cover no problem. I figured that if I ever tear it up I would just use the cardboard
from a cereal box to replace it.

I'm not sure what there is to accomplish by looking inside, but I guess you'll never know unless you take a look. :))

Here is a picture of inside mine in the A1 setting.

Gary

A1 Position (Large).JPG

A1 Position (Large).JPG

Back