Buying lathe

spenca

Registered
Registered
Hy.

I am buying my first lathe. I am from Europe Slovenia. I need some help with this. Whitch brand to buy and so on. Do enbody know if buying GHB 1340A jet lathe is good choice. I have foudnd that jet company dont sel eny pere parts. Ad machine is 15 years old alredy.

Thanks

Hi, 15 years is not so old- and you can make many parts (not all, but many)
Jet lathes are good if it is complete and not very worn
You are just south of Austria- home of Emco-Maier, excellent machines if you can find one
Also you are close to Italy, another good source of machinery, and Germany too
Look on Ebay.UK

Last edited:
There are so many old industrial machines in Europe, it would be hard for me to recommend a Jet.

An old EMCO hobby lathe from Austria (10" ) would be so much nicer.

But you also have possible access to Russian (Stanko), German (Voest, Deckel), and Italian (Graziano) machines. The Swiss and the Swedes made many more, and the Eastern Blockade Nations like Poland and Czech made good machines. For you, it might be worth the drive to a nearby industrial city. You are close to the manufacturing center of Italy, and I'm sure you can find more between Vienna, Bratislava, and Budapest. You probably have more equipment options within 4 hours by car than you think!

So, why buy a Jet? Maybe price and convenience. But you might have better quality options available to you.

I used to look for machines in Europe on maschinensucher.de. It's better than running straight to China, that should be your last resort.

Yes, emco is popualr here. But meny athe operator are using prvomajska or potisje and so on rebuild lathe cost from 15 000 to 20 000 euros. Good tnp 160 is about 8000 euros potisjeif you are lucky 5000 euros. In general 5000 is limit betwen usable annd non usable.
Thanks. Ursus lathe are interested build in Italy too.
I will look. I worked on mail with plimerconcrete base.Nice machine. Schaublinis realy exspencive.
I am a litle concern about spere parts for JET lathes. Idont know if here in EU are some distributors at all.

The JET is a standard pattern Asian lathe. EU importers of China tools like Optimum, Bernardo, and Holzmann sell lathes based on that standard 1340 pattern. I believe you will not have a difficult time finding parts from another company. People here do the same thing, Kent fits Precision Matthews fits Grizzly, all made in China or Taiwan from the same blueprints.

I didnt know this. So difrent comapny made this lathe.
I can get myford now it sels for 1100 euro but need work.
I loked at emco, butyou know emco 10 for exsample ful restored or in good condition is relay smal and 2K euro.
Emco v13 is like 5.5K but is not biger as v10 for big margin.
I know a lot of ok amchines but you msut know if you buy on maschineseker you ened to pay 18 percent to hopuse and 25% for tak and then 1.2K for transport with truck and then loading from 200 to 500 euro. So machine for 3K +1.2 transport+1500 taksation and duty loading 300=6K The same machine if you are lucky you can get from private customer. This is the reason you need to avoid this sites.
So 1340 lathe form jet i can find in other comapnies i will look buti think this will not do.

Man i relay liek this lathe. And i can transport it tomy toolrom. I dont need forlkif.

Jet dont have distrinutor in EU. This is a fact. This is reason why nobady buy this lathe.

The Jet 1340 was made by King Rich Industries Co. in Taiwan. They are the manufacturer for many brands, including King and Eisen. There are a lot of them in the wild, so I don't think it is a big risk for you.

I thot stuf out this morning.
I found 4 lathes form 4 difrent companies. Price range from 5 to 15k euro. It is throue. Same principle difrent cosmetic stuf. You are right.

Thank you for helping me.

Now i need to decide i buy new from 5K or used for 3K and convert it to cnc. At least the x and z axsis spindle i think wil not run from 2k rpm to 4k rpm. I thing gears will bedestroyed.

I have problem with potisje prvomasjka, they are all destroyed bady ways gears have lag, and so on. Refurbised is 14 K euro up. I dont have this kind ofmoney and i dont need to cut 5mm cuts per pass.

So china lathe are an option, not good one, becose they have problem with heat tretment as i hear but this is it.

Can i ask one more thing.

Is it posible to build spindle for cnc at home. Like cartridge spindle for exsample. Two angle bearings one on ech side or some have four bearing two in pair on each side and sahft on witch you can mound chuck. So i can use belt to run spindle with 3 phase motor.Like 4 kw woud be enough with 3000 rpm. Is this doable? Has enbody try this aproche. I know emco lathes has two bearing in spindle capable of 9600rpm and one is 50 euros. So if i buy pice of steel and i give sombody to turn and then grind shaft and outer part this woud go or not?. Idont have eny plans for this. Hass has the same system. And i have loked at ursus lathe, i was amazed how big shaft it is and so simple to construct.

If this is a option then i can buy linear rails and ballscrews and this polimer concrete stuf and i can duck al the problem on manual lathe as spere parts hunting play in sahfts gears, bad ways and so on. Ok it will take a while but when yu have problems, yust buying new part instlaing it and it is it.

Eny thots about this aproche.

Thank you wery mutch.

For a CNC conversion, I think that a lower cost chinese lathe with fewer features would be best. You will be replacing most of the linear motion with new ball screws and toothed belts, so there is no need to pay for extra features. You will be building your own extra features.

I would not pursue CNC feeds and speeds on a manual conversion. Instead, I would run at manual machine operating parameters with CNC control. There is no reason to run the spindle at 4000 RPM unless you are working on very small parts in collets. You will not have rigidity to push fast feeds, so run the machine in the work envelope it was designed for.

I am a believer in polymer concrete (also called epoxy granite) fill, that will help where it can.

When replacing so many of the original parts to do the CNC conversion, your requirement for replacement parts will diminish. You should be able to fabricate much of what you need in the future.

Back