Buying lathe

This is thrue.

I will wait for mail from company about rep of jet machines.

There is a lot of clones of thise 1430 machine.

Yes i am woried about replacment parts. If i build form schratch then i dont kare about speres i can buildit myself.

Do you know how to build spindle simple spindle bearing and stuf?

Last edited:
It is difficult to build high-precision, high-speed assemblies yourself. Not impossible, but difficult.
Try it and you will discover. Just be aware of hidden costs. Good bearings can cost hundreds of euros.
Your requirements may be easier to satisfy than someone who needs tough machines
that can run all night and day, I don't know. Only you know. Read and learn as much as possible.
Enjoy!

Last edited:
I talked to realy old machinist. Tool maker. He said that it is posible but not f i give job out. He said. You need to maschine shaft and holder of the spindle. It woud benice to have machine that can cut obboth sides so you dont have misalinment. Then bring parts to me. You need to cut a few 0.01 over so i can grind. But if you cut more for exsample 0.1 more i will gridn eynway. Then you need t buy ballscrews andd this is it.

I read a lot in 20 years. Problem is that i realydidnt know that this buying lathe is so fuckt up. I thot how to build lathe form zerlo.

Lathe bed: polimere concrete german suplier in buckets
linear guides: hiwin or similar
balscrew: hiwin (retrox arebeter but are craysy exspencive)
axsis: servo motors, becose theyhave more rpm steper go to 500 with2005 ballscrew you have only 2.5m/min (steper ahs more precision as servo)
spidnle vfd with 3 phase motor or servo

problem is with lathe bed, is it posible to laser cut sheet of metal weld it and then put some poliemr concrete in. Becos epolimer concrete is realy exspencive.

Idodnt ask this nowhere. If i took lathe bed frm cast gray iron and mill the ways away in such a maner so i can puit linear guides on it. Will 50 years ol bed bend becose i took some metal of it. Woud this be axceptable to build lathe bed for cnc. ;) ( i have one bed this is the reson i ask)

Thank you wery mutch

Hard to say how much taken off will affect the rigidity, probably not too much. I assume you are doing this in a common sense manner
rather than a strict mathematics/engineering manner. In that case, more is better. More mass, more metal, more rigid.
Everything is a compromise

1 vs 2 vs 3

I have one bed and it is realy gray cast iron in it, if sombody sees i cut it they will pick my brain.
You know thebig machine there is nice, but if somthing goes wrong repering it is f....g exspencive. But loo this, it has automatic feed. Holy s..t.
It is realy nice machine.

So witch shoud we buy from these three. One big from Potisje, (4500eu) nice sturdy, big pain in the walet, one is litle, sturdy, beaten, need repair i think and small(2500) and one is jet from china 3000eu).

Take your poison.
the big one the big one;) man, i dont wont to know how mutch one ballbering cost for thise. I wrote to service man. I will report what they say. They rebuild one a litle back. ;)

I woud cut of only triangle ways and litle of the flat part 1 to 2 milimeters. If bed wwarpes it is destroyed. This is the reson i ask. If this works, i am free i dont have to build polimer cconcrete bed. I need servo with belt to drive the spindle and this is it.

Hy, i loked at difrent lathes and i come to the conclusion that old lathe is worthels to buy. Problem lies in peopel who seel the lathes. If you wona have nice lathe old in good condition and person do nice withit you ned to pay 7000 euro and more. Below this is gray zone, worn parts with no repalcment exsept to make it new from scratch. So i decided to build my own from scratch. Emco lathes are so exspencive that is stupidly dangerous to buy them. And they are worn too. So i will weld my own stuf then iwill fill it with epoxsy granite and put lienar rails on it and alt the electronics and stuf. and i will have beter machine for the money. So if sombody have some exsperience in this arena please give me some advice. This is it. I have one lathe witch i need to put realy hevy money in it to repair and after this it woud be still manual lathe with questionable precision. I wil not go down this route. I will scrap the whole lathe to scrap yard, before this i wil cut it in pices. I lost 2 year restoring it. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
I did this path building a CNC gantry style router. Built it for around $2000. Used linear rails and Gecko drives on the NEMA 34 stepper motors. I mostly used it for cutting plywood, carbon fiber, lexan and the occasional aluminum. Things I learned, rigidity is a big problem. There is a reason quality lathes and mills are made from enormous castings. In my case, i wanted a large bed, 60” x 40” and the commercial machines were stupid expensive. If there is a ready made machine out there in the size you want it will be far less painful to just buy it. But if you enjoy building stuff and engineering solutions to lots of challenges, go for it. I built a 1.8m x 1.2 laser cutter from scratch, and it was a perfect DIY build.

This guy used to make small hobbyist spindles that were modular. https://www.angelfire.com/az2/proff/

I did this path building a CNC gantry style router. Built it for around $2000. Used linear rails and Gecko drives on the NEMA 34 stepper motors. I mostly used it for cutting plywood, carbon fiber, lexan and the occasional aluminum. Things I learned, rigidity is a big problem. There is a reason quality lathes and mills are made from enormous castings. In my case, i wanted a large bed, 60” x 40” and the commercial machines were stupid expensive. If there is a ready made machine out there in the size you want it will be far less painful to just buy it. But if you enjoy building stuff and engineering solutions to lots of challenges, go for it. I built a 1.8m x 1.2 laser cutter from scratch, and it was a perfect DIY build.

This guy used to make small hobbyist spindles that were modular. https://www.angelfire.com/az2/proff/
I try to find some smal cnc lathe but al of them are realy old 40 years and hevy 3 to 4 t and al of them have old ways worn out. If i look to smaler i cant buy it either. 20.000 euro worth of cnc lathe is for sale in reality it is worth 3000 euro. No spere parts no nothing. This is a disaster. Even emco smal stuf is like 2.2K euro. wtf. and al worn out, and stuf put together with difrent parts. I dont know what is goin in europe buti see only decline in lot of places.
I try to find people that woud make me a casting. But from big companies in my country they pour only smal castings, nobady has the capacity to pour big castings. I dont know how will weldment and polimer fit together but i read on internet that it is best soluion.

I woud buy somthing, but prices are al over the place. And you get totaly misaligned lathe. If you talked to seller he dont wona hear nothing only give me money,... lol. Crazy.

It is beter to build from scratch. Yes it is exspencive but on long run you will save money.

Sounds like you are in a machine desert, so to speak. Unfortunate
We have those here also, but probably not so severe

Back