Buying your first a lathe...what you wish you knew?

I find that the tangenital tool ,(Eccentric Engineering),is something I use a lot. Versatile and simple to grand also HSS often gives a better finish on light cuts than Carbide.
The upside down part-off tool is very forgiving, chips naturally fall down and because of the way the forces act it springs upward if something goes awry rather to go ping. Insert blades allows high speed parting.

Oh i see. Sounds like a great pro tip. Thanks

I find that the tangenital tool ,(Eccentric Engineering),is something I use a lot. Versatile and simple to grand also HSS often gives a better finish on light cuts than Carbide.
The upside down part-off tool is very forgiving, chips naturally fall down and because of the way the forces act it springs upward if something goes awry rather to go ping. Insert blades allows high speed parting.
This is true for me - I was gifted a G0602, bought carbide insert tooling and fought surface finish, because I couldn't spin the part fast enough.

Well said. I’m slightly torn between buying bigger and better and buying something to just get started. I’ve been thinking about doing this for years now and just haven’t pulled the trigger yet. If I buy a PM1030 I will do it knowing full well it’s not optimal but l think I’m okay with that to get my feet wet and start learning. However if it’s just such low quality and limiting it could do me more harm than good for education.
That was my dilemma too because I had no need for a lathe but wanted to learn how to use one. Quality and precision was not an issue. I bought the largest I could install without help. Was a budget 12x36 engine lathe with lots of tools included even if it was no name stuff. Setting up the lathe was an education in itself as it needed a lot of cleaning (even if new) and there was a lot of fine tuning to do. As I gained experience I bought a QCTP, the Eccentric tangential holder, and a few other tools. Also, do not skimp on measuring tools, get good stuff and you will enjoy using them.
The 'cheap' stuff I bought was ok except for the brazed carbide tools and dial caliper that were junk.
Did not realize what a D1-4 spindle was but now I would not want anything else.
Most of the turning I have done was to make more tools and upgrades for the lathe. If it wasn't for making tools for the lathe I would be short of projects.

Last edited:
That was my dilemma too because I had no need for a lathe but wanted to learn how to use one. Quality and precision was not an issue. I bought the largest I could install without help. Was a budget 12x36 engine lathe with lots of tools included even if it was no name stuff. Setting up the lathe was an education in itself as it needed a lot of cleaning (even if new) and there was a lot of fine tuning to do. As I gained experience I bought a QCTP, the Eccentric tangential holder, and a few other tools. Also, do not skimp on measuring tools, get good stuff and you will enjoy using them.
The 'cheap' stuff I bought was ok except for the brazed carbide tools and dial caliper that were junk.
Most of the turning I have done was to make more tools and upgrades for the lathe. If it wasn't for making tools for the lathe I would be short of projects.

Yeah and I understand that buying a lower end lathe is technically going to be a “waste of money” but I see it as buying an education. I just want to make sure I get a good education. I expect my second lathe to be a lot better than my first, not just slightly better.

My main concern is the comments I’m hearing about poor surface finish and lack of rigidity. If it’s impossible to obtain this, then I may be getting a “poor education”

It might depend on what you consider to be a low end lathe. A G0750 for instance is not a waste of money unless it is not what you need. My lathe is a budget lathe but not a waste of money. It is plenty rigid and can produce good finish when I do my part. The learning experience I was after has largely been met. Having problems to solve and shortcomings to overcome in a lathe has its merits. Learning to get the most from any machine is the challenge.

Surface finish and rigidity are relative. If you have a clear vision of what performance you want and need in a lathe then go for that performance level in one fell swoop. If you already think that you will need a second lathe then the best time to get it is now.

It might depend on what you consider to be a low end lathe. A G0750 for instance is not a waste of money unless it is not what you need. My lathe is a budget lathe but not a waste of money. It is plenty rigid and can produce good finish when I do my part. The learning experience I was after has largely been met. Having problems to solve and shortcomings to overcome in a lathe has its merits. Learning to get the most from any machine is the challenge.

Surface finish and rigidity are relative. If you have a clear vision of what performance you want and need in a lathe then go for that performance level in one fell swoop. If you already think that you will need a second lathe then the best time to get it is now.

My need for a lathe is education and experience. I anticipate becoming “successful” and have more uses for a better lathe in the future. I’m just not there yet.

I have had good experiences (1) buying new, (2) buying from Precision Matthews (that is the only place that I would ever buy a machine from), and (3) getting a factory installed DRO.

You are going to have a whole lot of fun with your new lathe!

When I tool up, I just go down the list: turn, face, chamfer, bore, drill, ream, single point thread, tap, part (and groove), knurl and trepan.

I have had good experiences (1) buying new, (2) buying from Precision Matthews (that is the only place that I would ever buy a machine from), and (3) getting a factory installed DRO.

You are going to have a whole lot of fun with your new lathe!

When I tool up, I just go down the list: turn, face, chamfer, bore, drill, ream, single point thread, tap, part, knurl and trepan.

Which lathe did you get?

Back