Buying your first a lathe...what you wish you knew?

aaronthemeche

Registered
Registered
I’m about to pull the trigger and purchase a Precision Matthews PM1030 lathe.

What do you wish you knew before buying your first lathe? What type of tooling and accessories did you buy or wish you did or did not buy?

I wished that I would have bought a bigger one. Mine is a 1022 though.
Without knowing your skill set, I would suggest some HSS cutters that you can grind. A boring bar set. Cutoff tool. If you need to thread, a thread cutting set, probably from PM because he has decent prices and if you buy it when you buy the lathe the tools ship for free with the lathe.

7milesup,

Thanks for your input. I should have specified my skill set is novice. My plan is to convert to CNC. What do you think about PM’s turning a boring tool sets? Is that a good source for buying?

I do not own PM's boring sets, yet. I need to order some. My turning tools are from a mix of sources. Www.latheinserts.com is one place I have bought stuff from with good results. PMs threading set I feel is a good deal, especially since you can source the cutters from anywhere.
There was a thread not too long about about buying lathe cutting tooling. I will have to see if I can find it.

There is no need to pay higher prices for import inserted tool holders. I have bought the cheapest most economical tools I can find on eBay and Aliexpress. All have been good quality. I will not claim that the Chinese carbide inserts are equal to the big names, but I will say that they are of decent quality. I am much more likely to damage an insert through accident or abuse than wear one out, and at ~$1.00 per insert it's really a no-brainer.

Read the HSS grinding model tools thread. It's long, but there is a ton of great info in there for new machinists. Even if you don't make HSS tools. The discussion around cutting forces helps with understanding why tools are shaped the way they are and how to use them to get the results you want.

My PM1127 didn't come with a tailstock drill chuck. Consider that required equipment if it doesn't come with it. I hear the PM Precision chuck is good, Albrecht is kind of the gold standard, but not really affordable new for hobby guys. I have one from Glacern and have been very happy with it.

One thing I really like on the 1127 over the 10x lathes from PM is the camlock chuck. The 10x uses a bolt on chuck, changing them is kind of annoying. The larger machines use a D1-4 mount, turn 3 cams with the chuck key, swap, tighten. You don't need to swap them out a ton, but there are lots of things you really need the 4 jaw for, and you don't want to just leave it there, as indicating every part in would get old fast. It is one way to get practice at it though... :)

All my insert holders are the cheap import, other than a couple really nice carbide boring bars. Most of the time, I use HSS, but sometimes inserts are the right tool, and the imports work well most of the time. I certainly wouldn't tell someone just learning to use $10/ea brand name inserts.

Hope that helps. Do some searching on this site. You will find a lot of old threads with info about various tooling, vendors that are trustworthy, etc.. One thing to search out is "leveling", alignment really. 2 collar test is one of them.

Mrwhopper,

Are you saying you think PM’s tooling May be a bit over priced for import stuff? Got any favorite eBay sellers for insert tooling?

My PM1127 didn't come with a tailstock drill chuck. Consider that required equipment if it doesn't come with it. I hear the PM Precision chuck is good, Albrecht is kind of the gold standard, but not really affordable new for hobby guys. I have one from Glacern and have been very happy with it.

While I prefer an Albrecht chuck, in a lathe a decent Jacobs keyed chuck is quite acceptable. Since the chuck is not rotating and the drill tends to self-center, some of the considerations that are important on a mill are not issues on a lathe. A keyed chuck is also preferable for power tapping.

Back