BV20 unknown, plug removal and manual?

BackYardShed

Registered
Registered
Hi All,

I have a BV20, I can't see the name of the manufacturer.

I'm after a manual if anyone out there has one.

Also a tip on how to remove the plugs in the head stock. They have a thread in the middle, I'm thinking they are friction fit but seem to need a lot of force to get out so I don't want to damage them. Any tips for removing these? I have a bolt in it to try to remove the plug. Do I just use a crowbar?

PXL_20231209_072135370.MP.jpg
The machine:

BV20.jpg

Hi and welcome,

Not sure about a manual, often these generic lathes you just have to find something that looks the same and go with whatever info you can get. Try www.lathes.co.uk, or donate to this site and search the downloads section if you're not getting any hits on internet searches.

Not sure why you're trying to remove the "plug" on your headstock, but it's probably not a plug at all. More likely a shaft that gears ride on, try taking off the top of the headstock and looking down into the gears. Some lathes do have plugs for draining oil but they would be closer to the bottom of the headstock.

Your machine looks like a 10x30 or 12x36, both capable hobby sized machines, should be able to do good work with it.

You've found the right place to ask questions and learn about this hobby, keep posting and reading....

Cheers,

John

Attachments

• 31316.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Thanks so much for both replies.

The guy I bought it from had done something to it (not the lathe in the picture). The circlip on the spindle was hitting one of the gears and stopping it from rotating it. I ended up having to cut the clip off in a tricky operation. It's now working without the circlip but I'm sure it isn't going to like running like that at full speed, Do I'll probably have to try to shift the gear back to where it would have cleared the clip.

I should have added all that info in the original post...

Back