CAD (F360) how to question

GunsOfNavarone

Registered
Registered
After hours of trying to figure how to accomplish this, I thought I'd give the question to you guys. I am trying to make a ring to hold a round (magnifying) lens Making a ring with a split and a barrel for a screw...no problem. How to make a "V" groove all the way around inside of the ring...NO.IDEA. I can't pull it off. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! (This will be used on a 3d printer BTW.)

Not sure about F360 as I have only dabbled a bit with it but in SolidWorks, I select a sketch plane containing the cylindrical axis and sketch the geometry of the groove and the perform a revolved cut Here is a section view.
V Groove.JPG

Draw a triangle on a plane that places the "V" where you want it and do a "Revolve" with a cut operation to cut the V around the ID.

Ted

Great info guys....not sure I'm applying correctly, not getting the right results here.

Attachments

• groove.jpg
    groove.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Tri.jpg
    Tri.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 10
Now I did do a cross section analysis and placed the triangle in that cross section and was able to groove the inner side, however, when I turned the cross section back on, it wouldn't groove that part that was turned off. Obviously I need to place the triangle within the material of the circle, not on the surface. How do I complete that operation?

How about if you turn off the cross section analysis before you do the revolve. That should give you a complete circular groove.

Ted

You can also use the "slice" option by checking the box in the Sketch Palette instead of using a cross section analysis. That is what I would do.

Ted

This is what I got by using the "Slice" option (by checking it) and drawing a triangle. Then using the "revolve" cut function.

This is a cross section view, but it does go completely 360 degrees around the interior of the object.

Ted

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 11
Shazzam! That did it Ted! Feel good about yourself, I know trouble shooting software issues in this scenario is rough.
Side note, and it's not important but I would really like to understand, I split that body I posted previously and you can see in this picture, it did work but there is a shell over it? WTH?

Attachments

• split.jpg
    split.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 14
The only thing I can think of is when you drew the triangle you were a little shy of meeting the interior of the object. Make sure that the corners of the triangle are at least coincident (by using the coincident constraint) or actually draw the triangle beyond the ID of the object to make sure all of it is removed during the cut operation. Also note you can press the "P" key to bring up the "Project" window when sketching to define the boundaries of existing objects. I do this all the time. Note you can either project a body or specific entities. Very helpful and powerful function.

Ted

Back