CAD (F360) how to question

Hey @Technical Ted , Follow up question, as I use this tool more, does it have to be a circle? Could you use on something rectangular with softened corners (not 90 degree corners) It APPEARS it wants an axis and it only SEEEMS to want to do a circle around that axis.

I think it needs to be circular since it's a "revolve" tool. I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe it can be used for anything else. I would think for a rectangle you would need to do four separate cut operations.

Ted

Another way to do this is to draw the profile of what you want an revolve it around an axis. I’ll do a quick video and post it later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another way to do this is to draw the profile of what you want an revolve it around an axis. I’ll do a quick video and post it later.

Yep, I agree it would be quicker/easier to draw the whole profile and revolve rather than doing it in two separate steps/operations. I assumed from his question that he had an existing object he wanted to cut, but if not, your suggestion would be best.

Ted

Either way it seems it has to be around an axis. Let me pose this question, let’s say I’m doing a roller coaster track, it goes left, right, up and down, is there anyway to put a profile on that track. Trying everything I could think of, experimenting, searching online etc, I could find no solution. Even if I did this part first and designed around it, would it have to be a circle? Thanks for your guys help!

Well, it sounds like a roller coaster track might be a spline or curve. You can create a profile (your cut pattern) along a path, so do some searching for something like "Fusion 360 profile along a path" and I think you might come up with some YouTube hits that might help.

Ted

For your magnifier ring you would want to draw the profile with the groove in it and then just revolve that shape into the ring as a single step.
If the ring was already existing and you needed to add the groove to it then you could either draw the triangle and revolve it using the same axis as the ring, You must be certain the the triangle is cutting out all of the ring material or you can get that skin left over.

Another way would be to create a plane perpendicular to the ring axis at the location of the center of the groove and draw a circle the diameter of the tip of the groove and then do a symmetric extrude cut with the taper set to the angle you need.

For your example of the rectangular ring with rounded corners you would create the ring and corner radii and use the taper in the extrude command to make the groove.

For a roller coaster track you would sketch the path of the track using a series of sketches to to define the path and then use either the sweep or pipe commands to apply the track profile along the path.

There is usually more than one way to accomplish any task. some ways are more efficient than others and the method used can also have an effect on future modifications.

Last edited:
Yeah, the revolve tool worked great/simple/fast but it appears for circles only (hence the revolve title)
I will try searching for a profile along a path and see if I can find a way to make this work in a world that isn't just circles. I'm decent with F360, for the pretty straight forward stuff, I think the only way to advance is to find out how to do things you don't know how to do. Thanks for some great direction guys, most appreciated. If I get it down, I'll post here.

Back