Can I just buy a T-Slot Compound for my Lathe?

confab

Registered
Registered
Hi. I just bought a 12X36 Asian lathe. It's a Harbor Freight, but the same design was marketed under the Enco, Grizzly, Brimingham, brands and some others.

The compound is missing and all I want is a replacement for the stock T-Slot type that came with it.. And I can't find one?

I find a bunch of smaller types. I see an "AT300" type that is larger, but no T-Slot.

If I go to the manufacturer websites, I can buy them in pieces, but the cost goes WAY up if you do it that way.

Do you know where I can just get an affordable compound to fit my machine?

Thanks!!!!!

rabler

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
No ideas on actually getting a compound, but an alternative is to mill a solid piece in lieu of a compound. Claims are much improved rigidity. And you'd have something usable while keeping a lookout for an economical used one.

Jake P

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
In case you’re not familiar with what rambler is referring to, here’s a link to a solid tool post designed an d built by one of our members here:

confab

Registered
Registered
Yeah, thanks. I had thought I might add a t slot table directly to the slide for a tool post, actually.

That's a good idea. But, I do use the compound sometimes.

It is just hard to believe there's a literal sea of the tiny imported ones, but nothing larger?

I could adapt something from a SB or an Atlas, I guess. But I'd rather have the big, Asian arrangement that came with it.

Any websites you may have run across with used parts or that might stock such a thing complete would be very helpful.

confab

Registered
Registered
In case you’re not familiar with what rambler is referring to, here’s a link to a solid tool post designed an d built by one of our members here:

What material did he use? Does anyone know?

confab

Registered
Registered
Oh! It does. I'm sorry. I opened it into a slideshow and didn't see. Thank you.

Question: If I were to try to build a slide. What kind of material should I use?

I think the one on the other (mini) lathe is iron. But I don't know any more about it than that.

Cadillac STS

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
I agree on the solid non-cross slide for rigidity and to get up and running today.

Could look for a cross slide from an Atlas 10 or 12 on eBay. Maybe other brand there too. Then drill holes to match your slots if needed.

I just searched eBay for "Lathe Cross Slide" and there are many choices and prices. Be sure you get one with a swivel base.

Cadillac STS

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
Also you may not need a T slot on top. You can drill in a post on a flat top for your quick change tool post.

Just for fun

Tim Young
I take it you bought it used. Have you reached out to the guy you bought it from? Maybe he still has it.

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock