[How-To] Can this be printed?

jarhead

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone,
I have yet to get a printer so i don't know much about them.

Is it possible to get a color/shade something similar to metal on a emblem like this? I would like the final look to be very similar to what you see.
Thanks, Joe

Attachments

• emblem.jpg
    emblem.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 66
With plastics: You could do a three color print. Wouldn’t be chrome-ish more like a matte silver or gray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could print it out and paint as well. I believe there are folks found diecast reproduction work too.

What’s it going on?

John
I just ran across some videos of die casting the other day. They were duplicating figurines for board games. It was pretty interesting, they were using unvulcanized rubber to mold, and pouring metal (zamak? Magnesium? Not sure) into it. Much better surface finish than sand and seemed a lot easier entry point into casting than the "build a propane foundry" route.

That would be a fun project, if it isn't something you could buy online.

I bet if printed in ABS, then post processed with acetone vapor smoothing, you would get a good plastic part. Then, it would depend d on your skill with some crime, red and white paint. Just make sure to use uv resistant paint.

I have some chrome painted ABS mailbox numbers that still look new after a couple years in the sun.

That could be done in aluminum sheet on a CNC machine pretty easily. Add some quality enamel paint and It would come out a lot better than plastic.

Could probably be done on a sign machine (CNC router).

I realize that you asked specifically about 3d printing, but you state that don't have a machine yet. That said, you can probably find someone nearby that would be happy to do it for you.

Short of that, might even be someone on this forum that would do it. I'd consider it if can create an accurate Fusion 360 cad file for it. My small CNC can only handle 8x8".

-D

Send me the emblem and I will reverse engineer and print it. You can paint it if you want from there.

PM me if your interested. How big is the emblem?

If I were doing it for my vehicle, I’d probably print and finish with epoxy (Bond-o) and then paint as you see fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back