Can this motor be mounted vertically and used on a drill press?

Interesting...
The old motor was run to death. My friend asked me to look at it since I tinker on a lot of old machines. They employee said it would just hum. I brought it home - thinking it may need a new capacitor. (Again, I am not a real knowledgeable on motors.) When I spun the motor by hand it was easy to tell the bearings were bad. When I opened the case the balls were actually rolling around in the motor housing. It would have had to make a heck of a racket - before they let my friend know there was a problem. Hard to believe they just kept running it.
There was a lot of black powder in the housing. I cleaned it up and I believe the rotor may have contacted the metal plates of the windings (Dont know what its called). But no real visible damage. I purchased and installed new bearings. After putting the motor together, on startup it would blow the grounf fault. If I disconnected the earth ground wire from the motor housing it would run fine. I measured the voltage from the housing to the ground wire - it showed 115 volts. If I touched the ground wire to the housing it would spark and blow the Ground Fault Detector. That was the limit of my electrical troubleshooting and bravery. LOL Electrical problems scare me.

It sounds to me like:
1) You know enough of the basics to troubleshoot most motor problems,
2) You know how to do it safely, and
3) You know what you don't know and so know when to stop.

You don't give yourself enough credit!

-brino

Sounds like the old motor had a winding short to the case- there's usually no way to fix that short of rewinding it
It's a rare problem but it happens- live and learn- good that you let the GFI point out the problem for you, great troubleshooting tools

Thanks for the replies all. I appreciate the people in this group and the willingness to support each other.

Back