Can you turn an Altas 10” into an Atlas12”?

Yes, 87" swing, I do not know the original swing over the ways, but it was rated at 40". I'm sure that the actual swing over the ways was in excess of that, the headstock and tailstock were raised by welded steel housings and the compound was raised by a hydraulic tracer slide, which was made in house and used a Monarch air bleed stylus system and power unit. I assume that the headstock may have been a bit shaky, as it was braced up against the wall behind it. I looked up the manual, it was advertised with an actual swing over the ways of 44 1/2" and was built in 1941.
Another thing that was done was to fabricate a faceplate to go over the original faceplate that mounted 4 faceplate chuck jaws in slots that located them radially and also prevented radial movement with cross slots and keys, each jaw being held on by four big bolts. I can remember running it only once, but was the favorite of the journeyman who often ran it when it came to change the chuck jaw locations, it took two people to do the job, one to pry the jaws out of their slots (my job) and the other to pull the jaw off and relocate it, the me again to start the bolts and draw the jaw up to the faceplate, I'd guess that each jaw was on the order of 50 lbs weight. They also had a shop built pit lathe with a approx 12'ft swing, it had, I think 12 chuck jaws, a real chore to change, being assigned to work on it was like being banished to Siberia, it seemed to only run in winter, in a shop with open doors and cold winds blowing and lots of loud noises, as it was the fabrication shop with hammering, arcair, air grinders, you name it, about every discomfort one can imagine.

Last edited:
When I was working as an electrician for the Navy (civil service), I have seen such a machine in the shipyard machine shop. I didn't note at the time whether it was blocked up or was built that large. All I remember was working on the machine opposite it fixing the controls. I don't remember much, it was a long time back. What stuck in my mind is that the shaft (ship's propeller) in the jaws was higher than my head when I stood up. Such large machines do exist, usually in shipyards and marine engine shops. The "roll shop" machines, 60 inch swing, in a steel mill are small compared. Not a hobby machine, by any measure. Although "government" jobs were occasionally done when the machine was idle.

When I was working as an electrician for the Navy (civil service), I have seen such a machine in the shipyard machine shop. I didn't note at the time whether it was blocked up or was built that large. All I remember was working on the machine opposite it fixing the controls. I don't remember much, it was a long time back. What stuck in my mind is that the shaft (ship's propeller) in the jaws was higher than my head when I stood up. Such large machines do exist, usually in shipyards and marine engine shops. The "roll shop" machines, 60 inch swing, in a steel mill are small compared. Not a hobby machine, by any measure. Although "government" jobs were occasionally done when the machine was idle.

Government shipyards can afford such machines; years after I left that shop and Kaiser steel quit business another operation leased the facilities for a big fabricating and machining job, they brought in such a machine that had obviously come from a shipyard and used for tailshaft work, it had a swing of 16 ft. and 100 ft between centers, 2 carriages with ladders up to the tool post and controls, power tailstock, both travel and quill, it was retrofitted with CNC; the workpiece was about 5 ft diameter and 60 ft long, being machined on most of it's length with stainless overlay, the steel under it was mostly 4" thick having been rolled and welded into a tube.

Wouldn’t riser blocks just add another point for inaccuracies to compound?

Seems like just one more place where “flex” could be introduced…
As others have noted, not likely. Our Bridgeport mill has a 10” riser currently.

Early (1920-30s) Hardinge tool room lathes had a swing of 9" with optional swings up to 15" through the use of riser blocks.

Properly done riser blocks should not reduce accuracy, but a 9" lathe using riser blocks to provide a 15" swing, is still basically a 9" lathe. It will usually not have the same weight / rigidity as a purpose built 15" lathe.

Raising the spindle will change the geometry of the change gear setup.
I started this on my old Atlas 10".
The more I got into it, the more complicated it got.

Ultimately, I bought a bigger (12" x 40") lathe.

Back