Capabilities: Is a 1 hp PM mill enough for 18-8 stainless steel? Or 2 hp?

I do plan on acquiring 3-axis DRO, but as quite a few have mentioned here, it can be had for cheaper if I go aftermarket. Some have even suggested specific brands, which it great, I'll definitely be checking them out.
One thing you'll want to decide is what type of scales, magnetic or glass. I can't give any real world experience for either, but one nice aspect of magnetic scales from a mounting perspective is that they are lower profile (generally) and you can cut to length. Depending on how/where you mount, that will let you be a bit more flexible.

I purchased my magnetic scales longer than needed and will cut to length. Some resellers let you pick scale type and individual lengths, some don't, just depends on who you buy from. Most just advertise kits with certain lengths so you'll likely have to call direct to get the size of scales you need. Aikron dro was the only site I could find that let you ala-carte your DRO and scales without having to call in.

And if you are planning to do production work, pretty soon you will be wondering how to do tool changes more quickly than using a hex-wrench on the drawbar. Read the attached.

Attachments

• R8 Tool Holding Alternatives – Power Drawbars versus Quick Change.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
I got this fixture plate for my mill, it's not as big as the PM one, but it's nicely made.
1673369879799.png

To pre-empt anyone saying how expensive those are: I made my own (just a grid of drilled/tapped holes), and wish I'd just bought it :D I spent a solid 4-5 days in the shop drilling and tapping, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I got this fixture plate for my mill, it's not as big as the PM one, but it's nicely made.
View attachment 433002
Where does this shine in your workflow? Is it more useful for CNC vs manual mill or more useful for setups where you are repeating work with multiple parts, etc...? Looks like some use them in conjunction with a vise, some use it in place of a vise for certain jobs... trying to wrap my head around the use case and how beneficial they are for a benchtop, manual mill setup.

I have the Rhino welding cart/fixture table from StrongHand/BuildRro tools, 5/8 holes, 2" on center all over and many of the accessories, it's great for setting up my welds and positioning things for repeatability, simple to complex setups.... so I'd envision this style of fixture plate is highly useful for the mill... just can't wrap my head around how exactly they are used and if they replace other things. I have the same question as to whether I'd prefer one 6" vise or two 4" vises on the 833TV benchtop mill.

Last edited:
Where does this shine in your workflow? Is it more useful for CNC vs manual mill or more useful for setups where you are repeating work with multiple parts, etc...? Looks like some use them in conjunction with a vise, some use it in place of a vise for certain jobs... trying to wrap my head around the use case and how beneficial they are for a benchtop, manual mill setup.
Fixture plates provide the same benefits to a manual mill that they do to a CNC mill. Namely:
  • Increasing the workholding, clamping and setup area
  • Convenience and flexibility of having hundreds of bored and tapped holes versus a few t-slots
  • Indexing, shifting, locating and holding large or oddly shaped parts
  • Clamping large parts outside of the machining envelope
  • Using a low profile, modular work holding system such as a Mod-Vise!
  • Protecting the machine table (often made from soft cast iron)
  • Quickly aligning, tramming, and clamping vises and other workholding fixtures

Fixture plates provide the same benefits to a manual mill that they do to a CNC mill. Namely:
  • Increasing the workholding, clamping and setup area
  • Convenience and flexibility of having hundreds of bored and tapped holes versus a few t-slots
  • Indexing, shifting, locating and holding large or oddly shaped parts
  • Clamping large parts outside of the machining envelope
  • Using a low profile, modular work holding system such as a Mod-Vise!
  • Protecting the machine table (often made from soft cast iron)
  • Quickly aligning, tramming, and clamping vises and other workholding fixtures
One thing I LOVE about mine is the ability to put it in the vise instead of taking the vise off to do operations off the table. Its great for a quick-1-off, not having to re-tram.

One thing I LOVE about mine is the ability to put it in the vise instead of taking the vise off to do operations off the table.
I guess that's a good reason to get a large vise so you can grab the fixture plate. (Or get a smaller fixture plate). I envisioned a fixture plate to sit on top of the mill table and the vise on top that, could use pins for registration...

Using a low profile, modular work holding system such as a Mod-Vise!
I guess it pays to go with a company (compatible system) that has the most accessories available. Saunders Machine Works seems to really have developed their lineup. Though the dayton one shown above seems like a great value as well.

I guess that's a good reason to get a large vise so you can grab the fixture plate. (Or get a smaller fixture plate). I envisioned a fixture plate to sit on top of the mill table and the vise on top that, could use pins for registration...

I guess it pays to go with a company (compatible system) that has the most accessories available. Saunders Machine Works seems to really have developed their lineup. Though the dayton one shown above seems like a great value as well.
You can move the moving jaw and move it to the 'back ' in most cases. This makes the size available pretty huge! That said, I made one 9" wide (I see now after your comment the ones linked are MUCH more complicated than the one I made!) so that I don't have to do that. Its been really useful for castings, the grid makes tiedowns way easier than T slots do.

Back