Carbide inserts holders

get some TCGT inserts to fit those holders, they'll make a world of difference in ease of cutting and surface finish.

As I understand the difference, the TCGT have improved tolerances over TCMT. Is there more to their improved performance than that? It seems like perhaps getting a smaller nose radius, for example, might be significant.

the tolerance difference is due to the inserts being ground vs. molded. Not super important to a hobbyist, but the main benefit is that ground inserts are very sharp, like honed HSS, so they require much less force to cut and can take much shallower cuts. All of which is good if you're working with a smaller lower powered lathe. The main downside to ground inserts is that the edge has less support and can break down more easily than a molded edge. In my hands at least ground inserts have been more than robust enough for the work I do. I only use CCMT inserts on rusty crusty steel and that's just because I have a box of them. for everything else I use CCGT or TCGT inserts. They're around $10-12 a box of 10 from China.

Ill have to look tmr then i have a sb 9a so i have the power compared to the 7x14 i was originally going to get

I have a multiple sets of that style lathe tools, in 5/16”, 3/8” and 1/2” shanked tools. If used within their limitations, they can be made to work. For me they work well on aluminum and okay on steel and were absolutely pitiful on stainless steel. I found similar sets that use the CCMT style insert, much more forgiving (easier to use, better results) in their use.

As stated the extra insert looks like a TPG/TPU 321 insert, used in the mill cutter shown.

It has markings on the back ill look at them tmr morning. I bought new inserts for those holders last week 3 for stainless and 3 for steel i believe roughing/finishing

...the main benefit is that ground inserts are very sharp, like honed HSS, so they require much less force to cut and can take much shallower cuts. All of which is good if you're working with a smaller lower powered lathe.

Thank you, I appreciate the explanation. Makes perfect sense. I may as well get some TCGT inserts for the holders I have. For my 10x22.

Which ones would you get for which material

That bigger insert has a K7H on the bottom of the insert printed on it a few times

Which ones would you get for which material

I’m a little confused about this too. Seems like sellers will state a material (e.g., aluminum) but it’s not clear what spec makes it singularly appropriate.

Back