[4]

Carr Fire Hits Close to Home

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

TomS

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
The Carr Fire in Redding,CA has hit close to home. Our daughter, son-in law, and our two oldest granddaughters live in Redding, CA. Yesterday afternoon they were ordered to evacuate immediately. Their house was directly in the path of the fire and is probably no longer standing. They and several of their friends are huddled in our house (still in the escrow process) northeast of town. If the fire jumps Interstate 5 our house could be in jeopardy as well. We are praying that the firefighters get control of the fire soon.

Winegrower

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Oh, man. So sorry, hope you get through this ok.

This is the biggest risk we face in Nevada City...

jbolt

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Tom, I was thinking about you and your family while watching the news. It is a terrible thing but at least you know they are safe for now. We will hope for the best and keep them in our thoughts and prayers.

mattthemuppet2

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
good luck to all of you and fingers crossed the wind changes/ rain comes. Hopefully the damage isn't as bad as you fear.

S

SCLead

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Sorry to hear the news, Tom.

My girlfriend is an engineer with CAL FIRE. I can tell you they're pulling out just about all the stops right now. Last night a dozer operator was killed, the second one on this fire so far. Another crew was burned over when the fire shifted unexpectedly, injuring a few more. The fire is currently just under 45,000 acres and only 3% contained. Prepare for the worst so you and yours can safely get away if need be. I've worked a lot of wildfire recovery/disaster response, so I'm familiar with the impact losing everything can have on folks. Keeping yourself and your loved ones safe is the most important thing.

TomS

Active User
Thank you all for your kind words of support. Today was a better day. Our kid's house was spared. Unfortunately only ten homes out of seventy to eighty in their neighborhood survived. In other parts of the county entire neighborhoods are no longer. Our kid's are lucky but there are so many of our friends and others that have lost everything. I feel for them.

D

Deleted member 34477

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
The Carr fire has claimed two FF. Unreal footage and devastation. Best of luck to you Tom and all in the Reading area.

TomS

Active User
The Carr fire has claimed two FF. Unreal footage and devastation. Best of luck to you Tom and all in the Reading area.
One of the firefighters died fighting the fire in our daughter's neighbor. He gave his life to save someone's home. Words cannot adequately relay the feeling of gratefulness for what these people do.

Silverbullet

Gold
Registered
In a state that large wouldn't you think there would be more of the planes and helicopters that scoop up water and drop on fires . Must be away to starve or drown a fire that size . Why not , we can do anything if we try.

Asm109

Registered
Unfortunately the Carr fire is not the only one burning in the state just now.
Take a look at the map on this page and read down the first 5 or six incidents. Look at acreage and % contained.
Sobering.
http://www.fire.ca.gov/current_incidents

Norseman C.B.

Registered
My Brother and sister in law as well as one of my nephews and one niece got evacuated
from their homes this afternoon it's not looking good down there
at all..................

TomS

Active User
Yesterday my wife and I had to drive to Redding to check on the kids. They are OK and their house is too. The ash is thick and smoke is reducing the visibility to just a couple of miles. 1/3 of the population of Redding has been evacuated. Shelters are running out of room, hotel room vacancies are non-existent and RV parks are full. The fire is still growing in size and threatening several nearby communities. There is devastation everywhere you look.

The firefighters and law enforcement are doing a wonderful job despite the many obstacles facing them. My hat is off to them. I'm praying that no more lives are lost and they get the fire under control soon.

frugalguido

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
So glad that your kids are ok. I am also praying for the fires to be contained, it seems they are getting a handle on them, by what was on the news this morning.

Janderso

Always Learning
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
My thoughts and prayers go out to those family members that have been affected by the fires and the unfortunate early deaths of the firefighters.
After Santa Rosa last year, California has been hit hard by the recent wildfire destruction. If you look at the fire maps of late, there are so many individual fires it is a wonder Cal-Fire can manage them at all.
My wife and I drove over to Fort Bragg last Thursday. Highway 20 was closed while we were over there. Fortunately we were able to come back Hwy. 128 without too much trouble.
Living in Paradise, California, we have been evacuated twice over the past 30 years. It is a frightening experience.
I can relate to those of you in Nevada City, and all the other Foothill communities that live with Fire danger every year.
I do worry about my Home Insurance. I wouldn't be surprised if the parent company chooses not to renew. That goes for all the wild fire communities. I know many of you share the same thoughts.

[6]
[5] [7]