Carriage Stop for G4003G

I have to ask. Do you guys always leave your carriage stop on the lathe? Do you use it as crash insurance?

Mine sits in a drawer until I need to turn or bore to a precise point. It is used as a soft reference even then; I don't ram the carriage into it, ever. I don't leave my carriage running in power feed without me being totally focused on the cut so in a sense, I am my own crash insurance.

Just curious about this.

I can park my stop at the far left end of the ways, where the carriage never goes. So I generally leave it on the lathe in that position.

I can also use it as a hard stop by unplugging it.

Superburban, did you manage to find that info? Has anyone with a G4003G wired in a switch? I had the lever stop on an old lathe I had. Mine has a foot lever you must stand on to make it go.

The G4003G has no clutch as you probably know but you can't relay on the roll pins to shear before doing damage. I crashed my G4003G into a hard stop about a year ago and a shaft with an integral gear in the apron bent before the roll pin sheared.

Ouch!!! What did the repair set you back??? [if you don't mind me askin]

Ouch!!! What did the repair set you back??? [if you don't mind me askin]
Money wise it wasn't too bad. About $30 for the parts I think. I provided the labor. The apron had to come off and be about half disassembled. The hassle was that another gear had to go on that shaft and the new part doesn't come with the hole drilled for the pin. Grizzly said to assemble it and drill the hole in place but there was no way I could get a drill in there. I took some careful measurements (about 3 times) and then rigged up a fixture to drill the hole. (see pic) I had never even seen the inside of an apron before but it came out good.

DSC_0716.JPG

When I crashed mine (I set the boring bar on the chip pan, and it wedged between the apron, and the headstock), I was lucky that the banjo was not real tight, and the gears pushed enough to move the banjo, and disengage the gears.

g4003g.JPG

It's a shame that you can't guarantee that reaction. Maybe a torque setting that could be used. Or a spring/bolt type fitting.
Things that make you go Hmmmmmmm?
epanzella, Great Pic BTW
Ken

Back