Carroll Jamieson foot prower Lathe

Chester

Active User
Registered
Hi, I brought a old lathe for a restoring project, it had a homemade counter shaft and motor on it, but look in good shape, cool and old, great for a project. When I started to look on the INTERNET, I found little information on a Carroll Jamieson. Looking at image I found a ad from 1903-1906 showing the lathe I just purchase. this showed it as a foot power lathe, I can not tell you my joy. Now I need advice on how to strip it, what color, and some parts. the bed looks almost new, there is a broken arm on tailstock and missing most of the foot operating stuff,(what is the words I want). Please help me , I want to do this the best I can, she deserve this for being around so long. the name plate doesn't show on the picture Carroll Jamieson. but it is there, only number so far is on lead screw by the headstock, A00, maybe part number. Thanks Chester

Picture 020.jpg Picture 008.jpg Picture 009.jpg Picture 012.jpg Picture 013.jpg Picture 014.jpg Picture 015.jpg Picture 016.jpg Picture 018.jpg

Hi, Looking at the pictures and remembering my youth where Sewing machines were foot powered. The terms you are looking for would be Treadles being the foot pedals you see, although sewing machines used a single treadle. Perhaps you will get some ideas from googling 'treadle sewing machines" which should take you to many pictures. Hope this helps

I have never seen a treadle metal lathe, i've seen wood lathes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a picture of this lathe at a IMTS 2010 exhibition in Chicago. I know this is a special lathe, a needs special care. I hoping some one out there has knowledge of rebuilding her. I want to one day have this in our historic museum in Beaver County. I am going to try posting on general subjects to see if I can find more people. Thanks Chester

Picture 022.jpg Picture 023.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Carroll Jamieson foot prower Lathe plus 1870 C> L> Cady lathe

In my search for a foot power system, I have found a 1870 Cady system. Now my problem is do I make a frankinlathe by combining my Carroll Jammieson with Cady lathe. I could try to make the crank arms and use the iron cast wheel, pedals for CJ lathe, any suggestions.
Also I am not sure if I should paint the CJ lathe or leave as is, but polish all handles, bottom picture is of tailstock.

Picture 024.jpg Picture 027.jpg Picture 032.jpg Picture 026.jpg Picture 031.jpg Picture 035.jpg

Last edited:
Well after thinking and E-Mailing with Dan, historian with Vintage Machinery site, I have decide to combine the two lathes. I feel as the historian stated, "it better to have a working machine which is functional combinination of parts than having two historically accurate separate sets of parts laying around". I am not going change or drill any holes. The Cady bottom part is only missing the two wooden parts, the wood piece that goes from one cam arm to other cam arm, the part your foot would pump. The other wood piece is the top shelf that the CJ lathe would set on and be bolted to. I am not going to remove the paint on CJ lathe, just a real good clean up and polish all handles. The Cady lathe is rust, which I am wirer brushing off, any ideals on paint?
I have also talk with Richard Jamieson, grandson of P. F. Jamieson founded of Carroll Jamieson Machine Tool Company. He has send me copies of some ads and a little history of the CJ company. I will past this on soon. Any help on painting and rust remove I could use. Chester

You may be interested in knowing that a typical human is about 1/5 horsepower...

:) Try to stay away from the harder materials like black walnut and most certainly ironwood.

Ray

You may be interested in knowing that a typical human is about 1/5 horsepower...

:) Try to stay away from the harder materials like black walnut and most certainly ironwood.

Ray
I not longer have horse power, I am in very small dog power. This is not a wood lathe, but a metal lathe that can cut theads. It has half nuts and a chart for theading by changing gears. Mr. Jamieson said that they where used in garages and small bussiness that had no electric in the early 1900's. I have no knowledge of when the US began having electric everywhere.
I am not planning to use this as one of my lathes, but for people to see who never seen a treadle lathe. This is part of US industrial history, and I am glad to have part of it. Too many old machines gone to the srap pile. Chester

I watch Woodwright's Shop regularly, with Roy Underhill. last week, or maybe the week before, the entire episode was on a Barnes (sp?) foot powered metal lathe. He is no machinist, to be sure, but he demonstrated threading, and turning a 60° point for a spring-pole wood lathe using the metal lathe. I'd love to run across a foot powered lathe. You might be able to find out something on the PBS website about that episode. It was interesting as he showed a little about the mechanism that powered it. It was a simple pedal crank system like a bicycle, but using leather belting along with some chains I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back