Carroll Jamieson foot prower Lathe

I watch Woodwright's Shop regularly, with Roy Underhill. ast week, or maybe the week before, the entire episode was on a Barnes (sp?) foot powered metal lathe. He is no machinist, to be sure, but he demonstrated threading, and turning a 60° point for a spring-pole wood lathe using the metal lathe. I'd love to run across a foot powered lathe. You might be able to find out something on the PBS website about that episode. It was interesting as he showed a little about the mechanism that powered it. It was a simple pedal crank system like a bicycle, but using leather belting along with some chains I believe.
Thanks Tony, I just watch the " Rise of Machine", on my I Pad, from the Woodwright's Shop show. Now I am excited to get the lathes together and try it, I may last only a few minutes. What I find interesting is that a today's home lathe and these foot power lathe has not change much in the working mechanism, just refining something and making them bigger. Thanks Chester

Re: Carroll Jamieson foot prower Lathe UPDATE

Some pictures of what I got done sofar.

The legs and small parts I was able, from help here, to clean it up by using a fine wire brush and rust remover. I was so happy the old dye? or paint? finish came back. The big wheel was so pitted I had it sandblasted and painted it old brass, I think it came out good. If you look at second picture of the wheel, you can see some of the metal was lost to rust, mostly in the center. The fifth picture shown a piece that was broken and fixed by using a machine screw, maybe done this way before welding could be done. I going to leave it this way to kept the old look. They also used two small nails or tats to acted as inter threads, this is all striped out. I think a pin on the unbroken side could fixes this, any other ideals? I hope this makes some sense? Chester

Picture 038.jpg Picture 039.jpg Picture 041.jpg Picture 043.jpg Picture 070.jpg Picture 050.jpg Picture 051.jpg Picture 053.jpg Picture 080.jpg

Last edited:
Some pictures of other machines I got from same person. first is a Rhodes Shaper(1927 or so), 3 1/2 Fox Milling machine(1915), power hack saw, and a bench top Rhodes Shaper with no motor or pulley,(any one interested in it).Last picture is my helper "Olie".

Picture 057.jpg Picture 058.jpg Picture 059.jpg Picture 073.jpg Picture 067.jpg

Uh, Chester ... is it possible that you got the end pieces swapped when you put it back together? The big pulley needs to be at the left end with the treadle arms facing the operator.

Does the long treadle board rock in operation, or does it go up and down with both ends moving the same way? The CJ has separate pedals with the two cranks out of sinc, possibly so that it can be self-starting.

This is a fascinating project. It will be a credit to any exhibit. Good find.

Uh, Chester ... is it possible that you got the end pieces swapped when you put it back together? The big pulley needs to be at the left end with the treadle arms facing the operator.

Does the long treadle board rock in operation, or does it go up and down with both ends moving the same way? The CJ has separate pedals with the two cranks out of sinc, possibly so that it can be self-starting.

This is a fascinating project. It will be a credit to any exhibit. Good find.
Your are right, I will have to move the wheel to other end.

This not a treadle mechanism for CJ, it is one for a Cady lathe(1870), I am combining the two to make a working treadle lathe.

I have talk to Mr. Jamieson, grandson of the company founder, and he wants me to bring it the 150 years of Batavia, Ohio celebration next summer. Batavia is where it was made back in 1906.

Nice lathe! Dog, other tools! If you haven't turned metal on a pedal / treadle lathe, ride you bicycle to get in shape 1st. Brass and aluminum turn nicely, iron and steel "eat your wheaties!" mine is a 4 1/2 Barnes, but bone on bone osteoarthritis has put an end to my pedaling. Thanks for sharing you project with us! Good Luck!

Nice lathe! Dog, other tools! If you haven't turned metal on a pedal / treadle lathe, ride you bicycle to get in shape 1st. Brass and aluminum turn nicely, iron and steel "eat your wheaties!" mine is a 4 1/2 Barnes, but bone on bone osteoarthritis has put an end to my pedaling. Thanks for sharing you project with us! Good Luck!

Hi, I would like to see pictures of your Barnes. I think they have the bicycle mechanism?

I feel very lucky to have the two halves of these lathes, I am sure you also do. Here to keeping our industric history alive. Thanks Chester. P.S. I cann't wait to try it, but don't think I will last long.

I saw a lathe simelar to this one today and it is for sale. It had 1 pedal only on the end of the bed was a milling attachment. I would like to buy it but have no idea what to offer. There was no makers name or any type of identificaton on it. Could get some help for ideas how to approach this
Thanks

I saw a lathe simelar to this one today and it is for sale. It had 1 pedal only on the end of the bed was a milling attachment. I would like to buy it but have no idea what to offer. There was no makers name or any type of identificaton on it. Could get some help for ideas how to approach this
Thanks
thats a hard question to answer. I dont dabble much in old machine tools but do a lot in old farm equipment which is what got me into machining.

Who has it forsale? Is it at like a pawn shop or some guy cleaning junk out of his garage? Is it missing parts or does it look lime a museum piece?

If its in bad shape and missing parts it probably worth scrap price.

If the thing means anything to the owner or if he loves old machines like me maybe talk to him and tell him what you want to do with it. Id rather sell a tractor for less to someone who will take care of it.

Back