Cast steel anvil?

Larry$

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I'd like to have a smallish anvil. I've been looking for a decent used one for a long time. I've been using a piece of RR track, even considered modifying the RR tack. That doesn't look like a winner. Got better things to do at this age (nap?) I've seen this one, Vevor cast steel 88#s.
"Premium Material 88 lbs: This steel anvil is made of drop-forged, high-grade steel, which features high hardness, strength, and durability. Our steel anvil blacksmith has excellent grade material of 50 HRC. The solid base also keeps it sturdy." $167 delivered.
Any thoughts? 1693517226896.png

I think @wachuko just got one. Don't know if he's used it yet though.

Harbor Freight has this one:

Definitely easier to return if it's a POS

John

I think @wachuko just got one. Don't know if he's used it yet though.

Harbor Freight has this one:

Definitely easier to return if it's a POS

John
I got the Vevor… feedback from others is that the HF is actually a better option.

feedback from others is that the HF is actually a better option.
I like the hole locations on the HF one much better. But HF only has a 65# one and that seems kind of light for an anvil. Looks like the hole locations on the Vevor were chosen to pass through to the mounting points. Both vices will need the cast holes modified to be useful. Luckily happen to have a mill for that.

I wouldn’t put the HF Doyle anvil on a mill. Unless you’ve got a really heavy mill, and carbide cutters. It’s no joke. I used a carbide burr to ease the edges on the hardy and pritchel holes. Then I threw it away because it was toast.

I had a hundred pound anvil from the “olden days”. I sold it specifically to buy this HF anvil, and I don’t regret it an ounce.

If you doubt it’s durability, check out Christ centered ironworks on YouTube to see him try to damage it.

As with all things HF, it has encountered some flack from the “all Chinese stuff is crap” crowd, with unverifiable derogatory statements.
But it’s a winner.
My favorite review of the Vevor comes from Old Hickory Forge. I didn’t like the position of the pritchel hole, or I’d have bought it. It can be had in a 132 pound size if you really want the extra weight.
Roy at CCW tried to break one of them too, with no success.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t put the HF Doyle anvil on a mill. Unless you’ve got a really heavy mill, and carbide cutters. It’s no joke. I used a carbide burr to ease the edges on the hardy and pritchel holes. Then I threw it away because it was toast.

I had a hundred pound anvil from the “olden days”. I sold it specifically to buy this HF anvil, and I don’t regret it an ounce.

If you doubt it’s durability, check out Christ centered ironworks on YouTube to see him try to damage it.

As with all things HF, it has encountered some flack from the “all Chinese stuff is crap” crowd, with unverifiable derogatory statements.
But it’s a winner.
My favorite review of the Vevor comes from Old Hickory Forge. I didn’t like the position of the pritchel hole, or I’d have bought it. It can be had in a 132 pound size if you really want the extra weight.
Roy at CCW tried to break one of them too, with no success.

That is good to know about the Doyle. I have one of the smaller blue ones (Central something?) from HF and trying to straighten a deck screw on it left screw shaped divots in the face...

I don't have a lot of need for an anvil, so paying vintage prices doesn't make sense for me, but with HF pricing the Doyle one might.

I'd like to have a smallish anvil. I've been looking for a decent used one for a long time. I've been using a piece of RR track, even considered modifying the RR tack. That doesn't look like a winner. Got better things to do at this age (nap?) I've seen this one, Vevor cast steel 88#s.
"Premium Material 88 lbs: This steel anvil is made of drop-forged, high-grade steel, which features high hardness, strength, and durability. Our steel anvil blacksmith has excellent grade material of 50 HRC. The solid base also keeps it sturdy." $167 delivered.
Any thoughts? View attachment 458702

Sorry, I did not read the complete post. I have that same one (88 lbs). Harbor Freight is 65 lbs. Between the 65 lbs Vevor or the 65 lbs Harbor Freight Doyle, then definitely go with the Harbor Freight. If you want the 88 lbs then Harbor Freight does not have one available. This is why I ended up going with the Vevor... But for the use I will give it, I would had been just as happy with the Doyle from HF...

And yes, the location of the hole is one of the things that are highlighted in the videos comparing the two..

Back