Caution Confusing Packaging - Locktite Red vs Loctite Blue

angelfj1

Active User
Registered
Just got home from one of the big box stores. I needed some thread locker, both the red and the blue. Needless to say, not a lot of thought went into the packaging. Why not use red and blue packaging and squeeze bottles for red and blue product. yes, I realize that the product numbers and the words RED and BLUE are there, but this was still confusing.

Regards,

Frank

locktite.jpg

locktite.jpg

I think your barking up the wrong tree. Write Loctite a letter.:lmao:

Actually, they were packaged blue in the red tube and red in the blue tube. Maybe someone is colorblind.

Paul

I hear ya, probably to save cost so they only have one type of tube made. Recently I saw someone recommend threadlock to someone who seemed to not know what threadlock was & said, "use loctite, the stuff that comes in the red bottle". Well if the person does go out and buy some I hope they pay attention & get what they need for their application!

You mean the red stuff isn't to lubricate the lug nut threads on the old mouthy drunks truck that's getting one tire and moving the other three around?

Bob

Just got home from one of the big box stores. I needed some thread locker, both the red and the blue. Needless to say, not a lot of thought went into the packaging. Why not use red and blue packaging and squeeze bottles for red and blue product. yes, I realize that the product numbers and the words RED and BLUE are there, but this was still confusing.

Regards,

Frank

View attachment 64691

What is confusing to me is the "removable" type. Why would they say its good for 1/4 to 3/4 diameter bolts. Wouldn't it also work for smaller bolts and nuts? Seems to me they should have stated that on the the package.

I have used the Red before and Crazy Glue as well.

What is confusing to me is the "removable" type. Why would they say its good for 1/4 to 3/4 diameter bolts. Wouldn't it also work for smaller bolts and nuts? Seems to me they should have stated that on the the package.

Loctite makes a dozen or more thread lockers for various uses. There is a 222 (purple) that specifies being removable for small threads, lower strength than the 242. You can use 242 on small threads, but it would be more like using the red 271 (red death).

Tons of info here.

220™For 1/4" dia. and smaller fasteners.222™For 1/4" dia. and smaller fasteners.222MS™For 1/4" dia. and smaller fasteners. NSF-P1 certified for food-processing areas.242®For 1/4" to 3/4" dia. fasteners.243™For fasteners 1/4" to 3/4" dia. Resists oil. 8.45 oz. (250 ml) size is NSF 61 certified for use with drinking water systems.246™For fasteners 1/4" to 3/4" dia.262™For fasteners up to 3/4" dia. subject to high vibration and shock. Resists oils. Great for Grade 5 and 8 fasteners.263™For permanent locking of fasteners up to 3/4" dia. Prevents loosening and leakage due to vibration and shock.266™For fasteners up to 3/4" dia. Resists oils and contaminants.271™For up to 1" dia. fasteners. Ideal for harsh applications and tamperproofing. UL listed.272™For bolts up to 1 1/2" dia.277™For use with fasteners up to 1 1/2" dia.290™For locking assembled fasteners up to 1/2" dia. 8.45 oz. (250 ml) size is NSF 61 certified for use with drinking water systems.294™Strong bonds even on oily fasteners.425™Super glue (cyanoacrylate) for metal and plastic fasteners.2432™Has low sulfur content for sensitive metals such as titanium.2760™Strong bonds even on oily unprimed fasteners. Use for heavy duty applications, such as construction and railroad equipment.

- - - Updated - - -

1/4 and below may break before the glue lets go..

Back