Center drill for lathe

CIMG1833.JPGPics work one at a time. 6 at a time just to much maybe?

CIMG1833.JPG

Nice work. I have a Firestorm waiting for this type of application.

Chuck

Someone on this site (forgive me for not looking up the name) made a very nice center drilling attatchment that went into a large boring tool holder.

I run it with a motorcycle battery but and 12 volt would work fine.

Do you know the current the motor draws under load?

Werner

I just tested it and it draws 2.5 amps drilling. If you drill with more force than what would seem normal it draws 3.5 amps. If you hold your hand on the chuck and realy slow it down it draws 10 amps.

I just tested it and it draws 2.5 amps drilling. If you drill with more force than what would seem normal it draws 3.5 amps. If you hold your hand on the chuck and realy slow it down it draws 10 amps.

you could use the power supply unit from an PC, they usually can deliver this current.

you could use the power supply unit from an PC, they usually can deliver this current

Wow been over a year...drill is working great. I had a cheapo battery charger that the electronics went bad in so I used it's transformer to power an aditional halogen work light and the drill also.
The bolts coming out of the side of the switch box are the + and - for the drill. Black bolt - silver bolt +.
I did buy a set of screw machine drills. ussful being short in this app.
If I was to build another I would build it with a longer body so the drill chuck was farther back, maybe so the front of the chuck was even with the toolpost.
CIMG2127.JPG
CIMG2128.JPG

CIMG2127.JPG CIMG2128.JPG

This is brilliant, I have been thinking it would be great to have a live tooling head on my G4003G and now my mind is abuzz with ideas! That these drills have clutches the opportunity for tapping is also in play...(Coolidge wanders off mumbling to himself)

Back