Change gear lever on a logan 200 lathe

Bbholder

Registered
Registered
I am trying to learn about metal turning and picked up a Logan 200. I have cleaned and lubricated it and installed new felt wipers and am trying to determine if everything is working correctly.My question is on the change hear lever bolt stud should there be play to let the gears engage properly or should that be a solid stud with very little play. The machine is overall very quiet until you engage the change gear lever. I do not have any experience with these machines so I don't have a good starting point to work from. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Everything does engage and turn I just want to make sure I am not destroying anything! I am totally new to these machines and enjoy fixing anything mechanical just don't have a reference point to start

The more features you engage the noisier your lathe will become. Back gear is very noisy also.

Your question about the change gear lever isn't completely clear, but as Shooty said, the straight cut gears in the gear train do make noise. It can be minimized by adjusting the backlash in the gears and keeping everything lubricated.
I use open gear grease, which is sticky stuff that doesn't fling off.

Yep. That's the sound of a 200/210.
Make sure they're properly lubed.
Check out your half-nuts when you get a chance to. They wear out.

Yep. That's the sound of a 200/210.
Make sure they're properly lubed.
Check out your half-nuts when you get a chance to. They wear out.
I did go thru the half nuts and took apart the lower apron cleaned and oiled all of that i was just surprised to have movement of 7\32 forward and back on the gear that engages on the change gear lever stud

Your question about the change gear lever isn't completely clear, but as Shooty said, the straight cut gears in the gear train do make noise. It can be minimized by adjusting the backlash in the gears and keeping everything lubricated.
I use open gear grease, which is sticky stuff that doesn't fling off.
Thanks for the reply! Is openness grease a brand name or type of grease?

I did go thru the half nuts and took apart the lower apron cleaned and oiled all of that i was just surprised to have movement of 7\32 forward and back on the gear that engages on the change gear lever stud
Where exactly are you seeing the .200" of 'play'?
Is the carriage moving or just the larger gear when it's meshing with the smaller gear?

15829425718531927434387.jpgthe gear i am pointing at can be moved to the front or rear.200 that is the pivot point of shaft on the change gear lever

Back