Chargers and Batteries in the Way

I've chosen Makita form factor batteries, but get the competitive knock-offs. They work the same for a lot less $.

After spending more on the batteries than the tools initially cost, I only buy tools with cords now. If I need it I have a generator too.

I don't like being roped into buying batteries for as long as I own a tool, and I don't like knowing the tool will become useless if they quit making batteries, but there is a lot to be said for the convenience of cordless tools.

This week, my brakes made a squealing noise. I jacked the car up and took a front wheel off. I could have turned on the compressor, waited 7.5 minutes for it to pump up, snaked the hose into the driveway, and used the air impact wrench, but I just bought a Makita 1/2"-drive cordless wrench, and boy, did it make the job less of a hassle. Then it turned out my brake pads were fine. No idea what the noise was.

I also bought a Makita chainsaw. Ethanol gas has made keeping my gas saws working a nightmare, so when I have a job that isn't too big, I grab the lithium saw. It will run for 40 minutes and do everything an 18" gas saw will do. It has lots of torque. It's good to have with me even when I use gas saws, because you never know when a gas saw will quit on you.

I like having battery stuff AND the old kind.

Hoping that the aftermarket will be there to support my Craftsman C3 (3/8” drill/driver, 1/2” hammer drill, recip saw, 5-1/2” circular saw, orbital sander, plane, 1/2” impact, Max-Axess wrench, car vac, blower/vac & numerous lights) tools when the 6 Lithium packs I have die. My compact tools are Bosch & Milwaukee. Lawn & Garden (& snow) tools are GreenWorks. And still have a couple of “mains supply” tools I can’t part with.

[Is there any chance that my wife is right, and I DO have too many tools?]

Last edited:
I've about had it with my cordless tools. The chargers and batteries are everywhere. I have:

DeWalt - 2 incompatible chargers
Makita - 1 huge 2-battery charger and a 1-battery backup
Ego - 2 huge chargers, same kind
Ridgid - 2 incompatible chargers
Samsung - 1

I can put one Ego and one Makita away, but I have to have the others ready.

What is everyone else doing about getting chargers and batteries out of the way?

I have a big Milwaukee chest with a power strip inside it. I am thinking maybe I should just sacrifice the entire compartment and fill it with chargers and batteries.

My new policy is to buy nothing but Makita cordless tools. I don't care who makes the best tools. I don't want any more chargers.
I standardized on Hitachi 18v years ago and bought nothing but except for one Ryobi and one 12v Hitachi.

I just bought new batteries of Amazon for ~$90, should keep me going for years to come. Makita makes good stuff , I endorse your new policy;)

John

I've been trying pretty hard to stick with the same rules.

Wife bought me a DeWalt cordless drill about 10 years ago. Since then, I only buy tools that use the same batteries.

It's gonna suck though when the day comes that DeWalt discontinues that battery design. Even my shop radio and Bluetooth speakers use those batteries.
Don't worry, the aftermarket will take care of you....

John

for 25 years, I was Dewalt. I had a lot of 18V tools, but finally succumbed to the 20V because of the brushless upgrades.... (I abandoned my 18V tools, the 20V brushless are a big upgrade).

In the last year, I have gotten Milwaulkee M12 for the right angle die grinder, and a friend found me a small drill for the system for cheap, with a battery...

THEN another friend sold me the Milwaulkee right angle 4" grinder for real cheap (felt like free), but no battery or charger. I found an adapter to use all my 20V dewalt batteries on it. Then the first friend found me a brand new 4AH battery for very cheap and a charger even cheaper.

So I went from one battery ecosystem to 3 in one year. OOPS

Last edited:
NO! This is the ONE case where the wife is wrong, but she does not need to be told that, lest a major "discussion" take place. We all know that she is wrong, and it will stay a secret here on H-M :big grin:
Good one, Neil.
While you were typing this, I was on eBay making an offer on a tool that I don't need and trying to figure out the logic I'll use to explain why I MUST have this in my collection. (I may need to P-M you for wise counsel on this.)

Regards

Back