Check Out My Deckel

Got everything pulled off. Just a bare casting now. It's a little rough.
there is a ton of movement in the toolholder's dovetails. There's a lock but I don't think you're supposed to use it to take up slop. The dovetail below, might be called the cross slide fits very tight so not sure why the other is so loose. The toolholder dovetail has a small chunk missing and a few small cracks. I think some must've been over tightening the lock.
I have no collets. 5C would be nice.
did you forget the pic?

I knew I was going to get it. lol
Tomorrow I'll get a pic or two.

Yes I believe they do as this machine was manufactured in 1958. I do not have the draw nut however.
I also forgot to mention I took the spindle apart. No smoking guns but I will replace the bearings. Not sure how I will source, just balls and a cage.

Here's some pics. Interesting that all the major castings have a matching number stamped into them, 369 except for the tool holder as you can see it is 65. I'm thinking it is not original to the machine. Also interesting to note is that it looks like you can replace the main axle inserts. There are inserts pressed and pinned into the casting for the main axle.
1652017970857.png
1652017893828.png
1652017838865.png
1652017774026.png

Looks like you have some room to grind down the surface and rebuild it with turcite.
You can fill the voids with epoxy during the turcite application.

Yeah that's a definite possibility but cracked and chipped dovetail is another issue. There is another chunk about the same size that looks like it could break off at any moment. This piece would not be hard to make, idk.

Contacted Artco about bearings. They said they are no longer available, in fact no parts are available for the older Deckels anymore.

so the original bearings are no longer avail... is there any compatible bearing?
Have you looked up the bearing cross-reference?

That dovetail is held in with a gib, which is why you have a gap. The chunk and cracks in THAT particular part may not be of any consequence. There isn't much load, and most operations do not require infeed on the tool's axis. Honestly, as the owner and user of such a grinder, I think that blemish is inconsequential to the sound operation of the tool. Now, for replacement parts, you're pretty much on your own to source or make the parts you need. Bearings require only a little bit of info to replace- ID, OD, and width. You can pick load rating and precision from what you find available in the sizes you need.

Back