Check Out My Deckel

Attachments

• Deckel SO Spindle - Old Style.pdf
    487.4 KB · Views: 15
@pontiac428 I don't why you couldn't just run free ball bearings. The bearings might be fine, just that the rear bearing seems worn as a few of the balls fell out of the cage but maybe it's fine.
I'm going to have to disagree with you about the gib.

@pontiac428 I don't why you couldn't just run free ball bearings. The bearings might be fine, just that the rear bearing seems worn as a few of the balls fell out of the cage but maybe it's fine.
I'm going to have to disagree with you about the gib.

For the thrust bearings, sure. Most bearings are generic by purpose and size, so I meant you could find a suitable replacement for anything without ordering by Deckel part number.

On the gib, it's not a question of agreement. The big chunk in the dovetail is probably the result of someone cranking down the lock lever without a gib. I'm sure you'll figure it out as you go.

It's a Deckel, there are no gibs :) . They machined to fit without them, as did Alexander on their 2CG grinders manufactured under license.
IU suspect the 2 parts are from different years or even different grinders. Can you post some photos of the whol thing, it will help us help you.

As to bearings, I think they are known also generator bearings and behave like angular contact ones. The seat is part of the spindle and the housing so putting generic bearings on in their place is not happening. If the race on the shaft is in good condition you could orber loose balls to replace the ones you have. Of course if there is no real issue with them then best to leave it alone for now.
Give Boca Bearings a call, they had bearings for my Dumore grinder motor and spindle.

I think UB27 has it right, hard to imagine what would cause that much wear in that dovetail. Shouldn't be a high wear part.

My approach to solving the dovetail issue would be to remove the dovetail from the collet holder, make it flush. Machine up a dovetail with very close fit in the lower casting. Leave it so the top of the new piece is a bit taller than needed. Locate it dead center on the top part, drill/tap 2 for 2 M4 SHCS, counterbored.. Bolt it up, check the gap and then incrementally grind down the top of the new dovetail piece until it fits perfectly. Perfect is measured as no gap between the head and main casting when the lock handle is tightened (the handle should have a small brass plug to prevent damage to the dovetail surface.) There should be a small gap between bottom of the dovetail and the swivel casting. Once that fits, then verify that the dovetail is centred relative to the pivot/swivel. This is important if you expect to use the offset feature to grind radii. Once happy, pin the new dovetail to the holder so that it can move.

This is one way of making dovetail fittings that do not require gibs. Takes a bit of time but the result is very rewarding.

gerrit

Last edited:
I never thought there was a gib as the cross slide and swivel arm fit very nicely with no gib. I'm sure it's from a different Deckel as the identifying numbers don't match.
The spindle is perfectly fine. The bearings are in the pics I posted. Bearings will be fine I'm sure just clean them up and grease them up.
If you guys have any suggestions on getting felt seal/washers. There are three different sizes on this Deckel. Artco has one of them.
@ub27Rocks photos of what exactly?

That dovetail has been monkeyed with. Look at that relief on the left side.
@ub27Rocks Not much meat here.
1652632009987.png

Makes me wonder if it’s actually a Chinese clone head. Would make sense as mine is offset like that for a thin gib.

Back