Chester 949 Turret Mill, Good Buy?

I tend to use air only for carbide. It really doesn't like re-cutting chips, so coolant can be a liability. Air if aimed correctly evacuates chips immediately and I've had good results that way. Carbide doesn't care so much about heat, and I've found that getting the speed and feed right with air to clear the chips takes the heat out with the chips and the tool and work stay fairly cool anyway.

Thanks, that’s really good to know. I’m going to have to look at the options for a mist cooler. So much to take in!
Any suggestions for UK tooling suppliers would be really appreciated, thank you. I’d rather buy once cry once.....or with tooling keep crying but not that often

Hi Mike, I’m so sorry to hear you have COPD, my father has the same condition. He spent years in the timber trade which is probably the route cause. I hope you have more good days than bad days, the better air quality as a by product of CV19 will hopefully be helping.
You look to have some great machines there, Im envious of the grinder you have. Great machine I believe.

Hi Deema, thank you for your kind words. I live in a rural area of North Norfolk so the pollution is not too bad. I am just hoping that I can get back to, at least, doing something in the workshop again. Meanwhile, I am amusing myself with eBay, selling some small stuff, that is easy to post, the only problem is, I keep finding second hand tooling, that I can't resist buying! At least it is keeping me entertained for the time being.

Back