Chinese lathe upgrades.

PaulsM

Registered
Registered
Hello. :)
My first post here.
I am ordering MX 750 lathe from China and I would like to understand what parts/standards are there.
It comes with simple tailstock, I would like to buy with bearings and tool holder/toolpost, do not know how it is called, but as far as I understand it gives ability to change tools easily. What else should I look for? :)
Thank you
1673777010650.png
1673777221243.png

1673777122899.png

My suggestion would be high speed steel tool bits and a grinder to sharpen them.
I am assuming you are just starting out, if it comes with a set of brazed carbide tools they are very often a challenge to get working correctly which is why I suggested the HSS bits, I think your lathes 4 way tool post can use 6 or 8mm tool steel. Start with 6mm and see how much you have to shim it to get on centre, thats easier than finding 8mm is too large to reach centre.
You may find the quick change tool post wont fit easily so dont get that yet till you find out. what has to be changed.
Others with that lathe can chime in here.
The live and dead centres are fine but I'm unsure what the other two are, add a drill chuck and a half point centre to the list, drill bits and centre drills.
If you will be cutting threads get a simple fish gauge and a set of thread gauges.
What sort of work will you be using it for? That will give us a better idea.

New to it myself I would buy a lathe with the best support , for example littlemachineshop seems to be very popular .
I would buy a lathe that comes with a basic tool package, centers, chucks , live centers , even better if you can get the rests and follow rests.
Then once you get your machine
Learn how to clean it up and adjust everything , gibbs, back lash make sure everything that should be tight is . Then learn how to set up your tool post and start learning your machine and feeds and speeds.

Dont try to do to much at once.
The quick change tool post is nice but you might need to buy one that comes with that lathe or you could need some machine skills practice to make a universal QCTP fit like I needed to do.

I had to use my used lathe to make parts for my lathe as I have been fixing it up.

From a left handed eye bolt for the belt tensioner, 3D gears , chicago bolt and a bushing to take up the slop between the tool post stud and new QCTP

Plus just search mini lathe on your tube.
Also search mrpete222 , joe pie, blondiehacks , and many more

Attachments

• D2182891-B1C8-44C7-9D57-575F35D30DC1.jpeg
    D2182891-B1C8-44C7-9D57-575F35D30DC1.jpeg
    18.1 KB · Views: 17
  • D5C22D8F-535F-422D-A342-546839A9CAF1.jpeg
    D5C22D8F-535F-422D-A342-546839A9CAF1.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 90DBF5CF-DA9D-46AE-AA43-816BDAB7D90E.jpeg
    90DBF5CF-DA9D-46AE-AA43-816BDAB7D90E.jpeg
    275.1 KB · Views: 13
  • E98E3F4D-5460-4C84-9EB8-351B3E55B5AA.jpeg
    E98E3F4D-5460-4C84-9EB8-351B3E55B5AA.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 13
  • C5E1600F-F250-4492-870C-8FFB1315BC25.jpeg
    C5E1600F-F250-4492-870C-8FFB1315BC25.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Hello. :)
My first post here.
I am ordering MX 750 lathe from China and I would like to understand what parts/standards are there.
It comes with simple tailstock, I would like to buy with bearings and tool holder/toolpost, do not know how it is called, but as far as I understand it gives ability to change tools easily. What else should I look for? :)
Thank you
View attachment 433709
View attachment 433711

View attachment 433710
Welcome.
You'll get plenty of help here.

I tell all rookies to buy this book as it was the Henry Ford Tech school manual that all his machinists had to go to. I am a Journeyman and this is a super book on how to sharpen tool bits, sharpen drills, know the terms for tools and parts of several machines. It a great tell all book. https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Theory-Henry-Trade-School/dp/1163156329

More than likely, you will need an OXA rather than an AXA quick change tool post (QCTP). The critical dimension is the distance from the top of the compound to the spindle center line. For an AXA QCTP, that distance has to be greater than .9" to be able to use tools with 1/2" shanks. This isn't important id you're using HSS tool bit as is is preferential to use a smaller tool bit as it is less grinding but if/when you decide to advance to insert tooling, 1/2"/12mm shanks are as small as you can go, practically.

To go along with the tailstock chuck, you will need an MT2 adapter to fit the chuck. I would recommend a 1/2" chuck. Chucks in that size are usually JT3 or JT33 so the adapter would be a JT33/MT2 or JT3/MT2. Add to your wish list for future accessories, a four jaw chuck and adapter plate. A dial test indicator will useful for setting up work and a digital 6" caliper for checking your work as you go. A 0-1" micrometer and later, 1-2" and 2-3" micrometers for more accurate measurements.

So much input, thank you, everyone! Saw 11 videos of blondie hacks, very nice :)
Firstly I will do some machining on metal water pipes - turn ends to fit bearings on, then some groove with circlip for bearings not to fall off.

Found something on ali: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...00029332774199!sea&curPageLogUid=GIBkjwgu54tU

Reviews are good for a more expensive version. Probably will need to buy center drill locally.

I tell all rookies to buy this book as it was the Henry Ford Tech school manual that all his machinists had to go to. I am a Journeyman and this is a super book on how to sharpen tool bits, sharpen drills, know the terms for tools and parts of several machines. It a great tell all book. https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Theory-Henry-Trade-School/dp/1163156329
Also available free from archive.org: Henry Ford, shop theory . (Four versions, I didn't look to see which is newest / best.

GsT

For those suggesting brands / venders Paul is in Latvia so US suppliers are probably not much help.

Thank you

The bearings you refer to are live centers, the solid type are dead centers.

The tool post is a quick change tool post, the one pictured is an Aloris type, which is the most common style. You will probably want an OXA size, but a lot of people with 9x20" lathes prefer the AXA size. The MX750 has an 8.7" swing which is nearly the same as the 9x20s 8.75" but can't say for sure that will work for the MX750, so OXA is probably the safer choice.

This type of tool post can be had as the wedge type or piston type, the wedge is preferred, but both work. The one in your photo is the wedge type, named for the moving wedge that locks the tool post. The piston type is simpler so sometimes cheaper and has a round piston that extends from the body to lock the tool holder.

I would look for a tool post made of steel, some are made from aluminum and not as solid, but again often cheaper.

You will probably want to get additional tool holders, most just come with a few holders to get you started.

If you are going to be working on pipes, you may want to get a bull nose center. These have a broader point to fit into the end of a pipe or tube. They come in different sizes to fit different size tubing. The point on a standard center will not hold a very large piece of pipe or tubing because they are usually only 1/2"-1" / 12-25mm in diameter. Bull nose centers come in much larger sizes 2" / 50mm, and 4" 100mm being common.

Last edited:
When your buying the lathe make sure that you find a package that comes with the 4 jaw chuck, a flat back plate, 3 jaw with inner and outer jaws and change gears. There are a lot of options in purchasing these lathes and finding one with the chucks and change gears off the bat helps greatly, even if they cost a bit more. Mine came with those and the follower and steady rests. The base one, that didn't come with the 4 jaw or the flat back plate at the time was a $125 dollars cheaper, you will spend more then that on a 4 jaw alone. And it can be frustrating getting the right chuck for the spindle nose thread. So for a little bit more try to get as much as you can when you purchase the lathe. Once you have the lathe go over it diligently. Look at everything, follow the setup vids on ytube and have a lot of patients. Read everything you can get your hands on. Buy a decent set of carbide bits and or inserts. Like others have said get a 1/2" drill chuck and mt2 adapter. I would leave the quick change tool post, they are nice but just getting used to using the lathe is more important at this point. One important thing make sure and buy a good micrometer, dial indicator and base and Vernier caliper, this is a must. Starting with good measuring tools is a game changer. Get some materials to practice with, that you can toss if you make a mistake. Learn how to center materials in the lathe, it sounds trite and the more experienced people make it look easy but having parts centered is crucial. My favorite ytuber for lathe and mill work is Quinn from Blondihacks she is great, has many how to and setup videos and is not shy to show when she makes a mistake.

Back