Chinese lathe upgrades.

Not sure which brands on AliExpress are good but I've used the cheap ones and they will chip if not treated carefully.

MT2 and MT3 are two different sizes, here's a reference doc. https://solutions.travers.com/metalworking-machining/how-to-determine-your-machines-taper-size Edit: Sorry, the difference between A and B in the picture you posted is the tang on the back which is used for driving the taper out of (usually) a spindle. It may not be needed for a tailstock which has a screw which should eject the taper when you retract the ram all the way back into the tailstock. You can always cut off the tang if not needed should you purchase type A.

Yes, tighten up that piece on the back of the carriage as tight as it'll go and still let it move freely, make sure you have plenty of way oil in there too.

John
Probably should take it off, clean, lubricate, put back

those plates/gibbs numbered 92 above might be push pull screws, screw up tight till the saddle barely moves then screw in the push screws a tad at a time till the movement is smooth and firm, its a bit of an iterative process.
Both the front and rear plates are probably adjusted in the same manner.
You may find on your lathe those plates are not flat but an "L" section where the foot of the "L" bears upon the bottom of the bed, still the same process.

You need to adjust these, found on search for MX750 lathe manual
Although I did not see any mention of actual adjustment in the manual. # 90,91.92 and 101.
View attachment 434558
Where did you get so nice picture? All I have is a bad copy of manual where pictures are blurred, thats what they gave me :)

Got my hands on my chinese lathe today.. saddle (I guess its called like that) had a huge play, so I watched some youtube videos and got it tight. There was no "feelable" movement anymore, if I tighten those first plates more, it would bind on rails. So I tried my first turning and.. its horrible :D
Toolmarks all over the place and after all I can move whole toolpost, so its not rigid (cant see or feel, but while cutter is on pipe I can move it and see new toolpath +soud. More tweaking or its just chinese style?

Got my hands on my chinese lathe today.. saddle (I guess its called like that) had a huge play, so I watched some youtube videos and got it tight. There was no "feelable" movement anymore, if I tighten those first plates more, it would bind on rails. So I tried my first turning and.. its horrible :D
Toolmarks all over the place and after all I can move whole toolpost, so its not rigid (cant see or feel, but while cutter is on pipe I can move it and see new toolpath +soud. More tweaking or its just chinese style?
More tweeking
Check every nut,bolt,screw you can find and make sure they are not loose.
Then readjust all your gibs. It takes time and im not sure what type of metal pipe you have but some metals just finish awful and also if you cant get to the speeds and feeds needed for carbide to shine switch to HSS cutters

Im only slightly ahead of you, lol

Last edited:
Back