Chip Guard attached to the cross slide

Polycarbonate can also be glued along clean mitered or beveled edges...it's a very strong and more or less invisible joint.

I made this chuck/carriage chip guard out of materials I had. I bought the poly shield from ATS safety products. It is a milling machine shield. It was perfect, I just had to cut off one bend on the end to get it to sit the way I wanted it.
Very simple, as can be seen and works perfectly. Also a photo of the ATS rail-mount safety shield on my mill. I bought the same poly shield for the lathe guard as on the mill. The hinges are adjustable torque, bought on Amazon.

Attachments

• IMG_0651.jpeg
    IMG_0651.jpeg
    515.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0653.jpeg
    IMG_0653.jpeg
    560.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0655.jpeg
    IMG_0655.jpeg
    564.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0599.jpeg
    IMG_0599.jpeg
    504.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Polycarbonate can be bent pretty easily cold using something like a sheet metal brake. There are several youtube videos on how to do it. You could easily form a beveled shield like pictured in the last couple posts using just a sheet of polycarbonate and then making your own holder. That would probably be the cheapest route. Going to do this myself for my mill. Dont have a brake but I figure I can make something equivalent pretty quickly using wood and some hinges with a vise.

Ask a friend for a motorcycle helmet faceplate. They are specifically made of impact resistant plastic, they're already bent to the perfect shape for you, and riders have to replace them often anyway. Of course, you can buy them new less than $20.

Drill a 1/4" hole, and mount it to a dial indicator stand with a magnetic base. Now it can be repositioned. Get the angle right and most chips bounce into the chip tray. And it can be moved completely out of the way. It can also be repositioned for vertical use on the mill. Two of them, and you can encircle the cutting action on the mill.

I want something like Mark @mksj posted.
I have 2 of these Latheguard shields . One on each lathe that are leaving . I'll part them off if anyone is in need . I believe a 15" and a 12" . 13060 and 13061 .

Back