Chuck and bearings runout question

No, I pressed them onto the shaft and they felt like it had a stiff spot once I pushed them into the head, so I am going to run the press without the spindle and see what happens. I don't have any gritty feeling from the balls brinelling into their races, I am thinking that one of the bearings is bad. The spindle is still removed.

Haven't ever seen a bad Nachi bearing out of the box but I guess that can happen. Keep us posted, please.

Well I ran the drill press tonight after putting the pulleys and spindle back in. So after about 20 minutes of free wheeling, I checked the bearings, the press started to clatter a little so I checked the spindle first. Those bearings were cool. So next was the drive sleeve, well they were pretty hot. It was about a 4 seconds and pull your had off. The slow speed pulley, now that was a different story. It was so hot I was expecting to see smoke.

Now I know that the belts were a little loose and may have contributed a little towards the heat but I really think it was not that big of a factor since the motor pulley was only warm. So I have to get an a25 belt for the spindle side and I have a new 4l240 for the motor side. If the belt changes dont cool down the pulleys, I will pull the bearings in the slow speed pulley and see if I did something wrong. If not, I will order another pair, its not like they are expensive.

So I checked the runout at the MT adapter, it was showing about <.0015 tir, but putting in a precision pin into the screw on Jacobs chuck gives me about .010, so I swapped chucks, it went down to about .006, so I swapped adapters and it was similar. I have another MT to JT3 adapter, I will put a pin in on it an see what I get with it. My first priority should be getting the correct belts and my heat issue under control. Well at least I am learning with this project.

I used a gray moly lube on the spindle sleeve to spline, white lithium for the 51105 bearings. I would have prefered using red lithium but in this application it should be fine for the next 40 years.

That is all for now. I just want a descent heavy duty drill press, this should work ok once I get it squared away. Tim

Well I did some troubleshooting on the heat issue, I checked the alignment of the pulleys, they were off by about 3/16" total between the three. I also pulled the hat plate from the motor that mounts the motor to the adjuster. So my heat problem got better, the intermediate pulley still gets hotter than I want to touch but the other 2 pulleys are just over warm. Now I have a vibration with the motor, but a little block of wood keeps it from vibrating. Progress!

Back