Chuck choice

interesting thread. I agree with all the answers and it just confirms that this hobby like most other hobbys requires more and more accessories / tooling.

Christmas is coming, buy yourself a gift and have your other half or whatever, buy the other one :)

I have one very talented machinist friend and I swear he can chuck up something perfect with his 4 jaw faster than I can see. its simply amazing.

A set-tru 3 jaw gets my vote for first chuck. Followed by a 5c collet chuck, then a four-jaw.

The three jaw chuck is OK until you take want to modify the workpiece you just removed from the chuck. THAT is where the .003 out of center that is common to three jaw chucks comes back to haunt you.

As far as a 3 jaw set true chuck, yes, they are excellent, however they have two drawbacks. First, the price, and second, anyone that can dial in a 3 jaw set true chuck can zero a 4 jaw chuck in the dark wearing a blindfold.

It will take you one day to learn to use a 4 jaw chuck. That one chuck will to the work of a 3 jaw chuck AND a 3 jaw set true chuck, for a lot less money.

The three jaw chuck is OK until you take want to modify the workpiece you just removed from the chuck. THAT is where the .003 out of center that is common to three jaw chucks comes back to haunt you.

As far as a 3 jaw set true chuck, yes, they are excellent, however they have two drawbacks. First, the price, and second, anyone that can dial in a 3 jaw set true chuck can zero a 4 jaw chuck in the dark wearing a blindfold.

It will take you one day to learn to use a 4 jaw chuck. That one chuck will to the work of a 3 jaw chuck AND a 3 jaw set true chuck, for a lot less money.

True, a set-tru does cost more, and it DID take a bit of learning, but it wasn't bad at all. :)

I mostly turn roundy stuff, so a four-jaw would sit in a drawer most of the time for me. I got the set-tru for setting up 1911 barrels and other already made components that I need to work to a fair degree of precision.

I just though it (set-tru) would be easier than a four-jaw?

Bill

With limited funds, I would certainly recommend starting with a three jaw. You will be able to do almost everything you need to start. As your experience grows, you will certainly find need for the center abililty of the four jaw and can expand your tooling at that point. At the same time you will need to invest in an indicator and support of some description.
start small and enjoy the growth of your tools as you need them. You don't need to run out and buy it all at once.
Jim

My vote is for the 4 jaw independent. I mostly use the 3 jaw because of the ease of it but would be really sad if I couldn't hold a square piece on occasion or turn round stock off center.

Dave

I learned on a 4J, without an indicator. Frustrated? NO!

I used a tool in the tool post as my indicator. Using the the space visible that changed as I turned the piece by hand, I was able to get close and then moved the tool into near contact and used the scratch and miss to get really close.

In reality you need a 3J, 4J, faceplate and some sort of collet system. The last two will be used the least.
Pierre

A set-tru 3 jaw gets my vote for first chuck. Followed by a 5c collet chuck, then a four-jaw.

The set-tru chucks are great, But if one doesn't know how to adjust a 4 jaw chuck they wont know how to adjust the set-tru....

On my first job interview (some 30 years ago) the first thing the guy said was "4 jaw,douse that scare you". I had a good teacher so my answer was no.

If the used lathe market is any indication, the fact that most of the smaller machines come with a well-worn 3J and a hardly used (if any at all) 4J would suggest that the three jaw gets used the most even though it is not the most versatile nor accurate.

The set-tru chucks are great, But if one doesn't know how to adjust a 4 jaw chuck they wont know how to adjust the set-tru....

Honestly, I didn't think of that. I was thinking of my personal preference, not that of a beginner. Sorry about that.

I know how to use a 4-jaw, just don't need one very often. I find the set-tru to be quicker to set up for round stuff. However, I will eventually get a four-jaw for my current lathe for those occasional times when it is needed.

Bill

Back