Chuck question

I guess I was way off on the chuck depth though. I’ve seen a different backplate the looks less like a flange, and more like a flat plate with internal threads. I’ll seek one of those out.

Where is the end of the tape measure, are you measuring from the headstock or from the spindle flange?

CCFF8F3B-0755-4238-9865-324657A493AD.jpeg
No tape measure here, but maybe it’s more informative.

I was measuring from where the backplate begins. I may be confused when you say flange. I would say this backplate looks like a flange. A smaller OD barrel that’s internally threaded, leading to a larger OD section is bolted to the chuck.

You could make a thinner backplate, but I think the fact that the flange on the backplate is smaller in diameter than the chuck makes the stick-out look worse than it is. (see how chippermat's is the same diameter as the chuck)

Thanks for all the replies. I won’t be buying a 500 dollar chuck for it, but at least I know the option is out there.

I may try to thin the backplate. I think I understand what you’re saying RobertB. I’m of the opinion that it sticks too far away from the headstock, but if you all say it’s ok, Then that’s good enough for me. I’ll run it as it is. I don’t have confidence that separating and machining the backplate would turn out well to be honest. There are certain jobs I’ve just really failed at so often that I am reluctant to risk it. Making anything to a precision standard is still fairly elusive for me. And one too long chuck seems better than one brand new wobbly piece of metal attached to the spindle.

Your backing plate was pre-mounted, you didn't have to cut the register to fit your chuck?

Back