Chuck Size For 10" Swing Lathe

BarnyardEngineering

Registered
Registered
I'm discovering the 5" 3-jaw chuck on my lathe is pretty badly bellmouthed. It doesn't hold larger material like 1.5" round very well, no matter how hard I tighten the chuck. The outer tips of the jaws don't seem to be gripping the material, and it's real easy to knock the material out of true. It holds smaller material adequately.

Sooner or later here I'm going to have to start shopping for a new 3-jaw chuck.

What's the most useful all-around size chuck for a 10" swing lathe like my Logan 815? My thoughts are 6".

A 6 inch would probably be alright. Depending on what type of work you plan on doing a 8 inch might also work.

Sent from my D5106 using Tapatalk

What about making a holder for a die grinder and try to refurbish the jaws and jaw tesioner

I agree 6" is about write. I would look into grinding the jaws it is not that had to do, I have done lot of them. Check out some video, u tube should have one

From the Logan FAQ's:
http://www.lathe.com/faq/index.html#_Toc95180284

2.13.What is the right size chuck for this lathe?
2.13..Logan supplied a 5” 3-jaw chuck and a 6” 4-jaw chuck for their 10” lathes. Logan supplied a 6” 3-jaw chuck and a 6” 4-jaw chuck for their 11” lathes. Larger chucks were available, but they are impractical on these lathes because the jaws would hit the bed when the chucks were opened. Larger chucks are also heavier, so they put a strain on the spindle and spindle bearings. In general, use the smallest possible quality chuck for the job.

I think that Ed is right, set up and grind your chuck jaws. Go to YouTube and look for 'grinding chuck jaws' there
are at least a dozen entries. Unless something else is wrong with your chuck, this is the cheapest, quickest thing.
Don't put that chuck out to pasture, just fix its jaws, its not that hard.

Chuck the grumpy old guy

Your 3 Jaw is leaving jaw marks on the work on the tailstock side of the parts, I would find this unusual?
Do the parts move around a good bit?

The so called bell mouth condition begins at the work side of chucks as the grooves that the jaws move in wear out, this is normal. Do yourself a favor and buy a new scroll chuck with 2 piece jaws that will allow the use of soft jaws, you will not regret this decision. Can't help with the "what size" question as I have no idea of the size of the work that you do regularly so the size is job dependent.
Good Luck

:+1: ^ On the 2 piece jaw chuck. I have an 8" chuck on my 12" Craftsman. But a lot of times I wish I would of gotten a 6" That is until I need the 8".:laughing: For a 10" I think you would be fine with the 6".

I do know last year Terrywerm and I both bought new 6" for our Logan 200/210s. I am very happy with mine.

This 6 inch 4J is on my 10x24 lathe, it works rather well.

DSC_3921.JPG

Back