Chuck Size For 10" Swing Lathe

From the Logan FAQ's:
http://www.lathe.com/faq/index.html#_Toc95180284

2.13.What is the right size chuck for this lathe?
2.13..Logan supplied a 5” 3-jaw chuck and a 6” 4-jaw chuck for their 10” lathes. Logan supplied a 6” 3-jaw chuck and a 6” 4-jaw chuck for their 11” lathes. Larger chucks were available, but they are impractical on these lathes because the jaws would hit the bed when the chucks were opened. Larger chucks are also heavier, so they put a strain on the spindle and spindle bearings. In general, use the smallest possible quality chuck for the job.

The rule of thumb when clamping a part in the chuck is that the chuck jaws should never extend beyond the body more than 3/4". If this rule is followed an 8" chuck can easily be used on a 10" lathe. Having said that an 8" chuck is a lot of mass to swing on a 10" lathe. I have quite a number of different chucks for my 10" lathe. They range from collet chucks to 3"- 8" 3 jaw chucks, and 4" - 8" 4 jaw chucks. The most commonly used ones are 6" with 4 independent jaws. They seem to be the most versatile and accurate.

What about making a holder for a die grinder and try to refurbish the jaws and jaw tesioner

It's cheaper to buy a new chuck.

I'd have to buy a high-end electric die grinder. That's $200 right off the top, not counting the stone or the material to make the holder. I can buy a new Shars 5" chuck with backer plate for $150.

Besides, I'm not wasting $200 on one of the most useless tools ever foisted upon humanity. Find me a stone that doesn't melt the hot glue and spin right off the arbor, or wear down to a nub in seconds. Find me a carbide burr that will cut more than warm butter. I've tried the cheap stuff. I've tried the expensive "professional" bits. All the same. Worthless. Junk.

Same goes for a toolpost grinder. I've seen them but they are way more than a new chuck. Plus I've never seen one specifically for a Logan, so I'd have to adapt one with my nonexistent machine tools aside from this lathe.

I know that Mr Ed already replied on this, but I also purchased a 6" chuck for my 10" lathe, and I really like it. However, it is a bit on the large and heavy side. As a result I am considering getting a 4" chuck for it also, which I will use for my small work, and will use the 6" monster only when needed. I refer to it as a monster because compared to the 5" chuck that came with the lathe, the 6" is a BEAST! A 4" or 5" three jaw would be more appropriate for most jobs, but the 6" has come in handy a few times already. One thing that the 6" is really nice for is cutting heavier or hard to machine materials. The mass of the larger chuck helps to reduce the chance of chatter on some cuts and materials.

Back