Chucking work

Hello gentlemen, I buy flame cut disc's from e-bay and would like to know if there is a method that will enable me to hold any size round steel disc of any thickness to allow the the machining of the O.D. without drilling a hole to secure the piece either to a chuck or rotary table.I would like to add that when I don't need to hold the thickness I step one side which allows me to chuck it and then go back and cut the face. idea's?? Thanks.View attachment 474483
Search “pressure turning” on YouTube - you’ll find plenty of examples. If the edges are too hard, run against a sanding belt to clean them up first.

Put a center punch mark in the center, and then just hold it against your chuck jaws with the tailstock center.

It’s called pressure turning. If you take light cuts, you should be fine. But I would keep the RPMs on the lower side.

Alternative, Chuck up another piece roughy the same size and just out from the Chuck jaws and use this as the backing plate to hold the flame cut piece to.

It helps to have a live center.

If you do not want to center punch the plate, you can sandwich it between another piece that does have the center punch/ center drill puck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi, first let me thank you for your reply. I had considered using the method you mention but was not comfortable with it because of the weight of some of the discs. I will reconsider it for the lesser diameter and lighter disc's. Thanks.
Mag chuck.
Hi, somewhere along the way I think remember seeing a mag chuck that mounted directly to the lathe spindle. If I am right I could not justify the cost. I do however have a 12" diameter mag chuck that I had considered clamping to my rotary table. At least if the work got away it wouldn't damage the lathe. I thank everyone for the many ways suggested, but I think I will keep step cutting the disc's and refacing the one side. thank's to all.

Put a center punch mark in the center, and then just hold it against your chuck jaws with the tailstock center.

It’s called pressure turning. If you take light cuts, you should be fine. But I would keep the RPMs on the lower side.

Alternative, Chuck up another piece roughy the same size and just out from the Chuck jaws and use this as the backing plate to hold the flame cut piece to.

It helps to have a live center.

If you do not want to center punch the plate, you can sandwich it between another piece that does have the center punch/ center drill puck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do this in conjunction with the glue trick and run any speed necessary without worry.

OP, if the disk is bigger than your chuck, remove the jaws and glue it right to the chuck face. I laughed when I first heard of this glue thing, but after trying and failing to get it to come off the chuck and having to resort to heat to get it off, I was sold.

For an 8" disk I would be fine with a 3" face mandrel and pressure turning with glue, even with a hard flame cut face and interrupted cut.

Back