Clausing 11 Headstock Alignment

I tried speeds from 185 rpm to 550 rpm,s carbide inserted tool, and HSS ground razor sharp with the correct angles and relief.Ill see if I can get some pictures for this
Regards

ok it sounds like you have it all covered.
if you could include a photo of the test piece it may help..
aaron

Quick question:

Have you tried turning steel closer to the chuck? One possible reason you are getting a lot of chatter on the 6 in bar could be a loose or worn out chuck. Especially if your jaws are bellmouthed, since you would be holding the end of the rod on essetially a single point that would allow the far end to pivot and wobble in the chuck.

Just some random thoughts.

I believe it is a combination of things , including a chuck tolerance problem. I do have the alignment close .0005 within the 6" length of 2.75 " aluminum .
Its difficult to make the adjustment and put the lathe back together make a cut, disassemble start all over again .I am not happy with the results, Am I expecting too much ,wanting .0000 over the length of the test cut.
Thanks all that helped, it's very appreciated

I once had a Seneca Falls lathe and that thing would chatter if you just looked at it! However, with its major flaw, it taught me a lot about tool pressure, speeds & feeds and machine rigidity. Using a form cutter was out of the question. The closer I got to a pointy end tool bit, the better off I was. And I didn’t leave the tool bit sitting at a shoulder either!
To your chatter problem, if your carriage assembly is functioning, I would check 2 other things. (1) The chuck you are using to hold the work piece. If you can, change chucks. Like someone else has said, bell mouthed jaws or the scroll is bad. Is it a Buck chuck or like, maybe the centering adjustments are just loose on it? (2) The bearings in the headstock. Could be it has end shake play. Check the pre-load…Good Luck.

Been giving your chatter problem a little more thought. Let’s try and narrow your possibilities down with a simple test. Put that 2” steel bar in your chuck and let it hang out the 8”. But now center drill the end of that 8” overhang and support it with a ball bearing or dead center mounted in your tail stock. Now take a cut. I’m thinking your chatter is gone and you would have a hard time to make it chatter. Of course this test is not going to work for alignment calibration, we are just trying to find out where the chatter is coming from. If your chatter is gone, I think you have ruled out the carriage, tool type and its geometry, cutting speeds and all of that and point your attention to the chuck and or the headstock bearings…Good Luck

Thanks
I have since chucked the piece, center drilled and live centered cut, no chatter, Still dont have the alignment good, off .0005 over the length of 6 "
Any suggestions appreciated
Frank

did you try my suggestion oiling the headstock bearings it worked on my south bend, i had the same problem

The Clausing has an encased gear oil bath head stock.
thanks

- - - Updated - - -

One other thing I did try the 3 Jaw and 4 jaw chucks same chatter on the unsupported piece,

What kind of head stock spindle bearings does it have? Does your manual tell you how to check head stock bearing pre-load? Maybe try chucking a stout piece of metal in the chuck, letting it overhang as long as possible, the longer the better. Then run indicators to the chuck to reference any play in any direction. With the lathe off, try to find any abnormal indicator readings when leveraging the bar by hand. You might even be able to feel/hear the play if there is any…Good luck.

Back