Clausing 111 spindle bearings leaking

Seems that they may have intended a very small amount of heavy oil or light grease, and a little bit of leakage would be acceptable
seeing as how there are no oil cups to fill
-M
Per the manual it's a medium oil, There are supposed to be cups, I just haven't made any yet. Still, that may be the intended design.

The later model Atlas 12" I have has oil cups but no seals. Designed to weep oil slowly down into the races and be periodically refilled.
Messy yes but that's how it was done then, apparently. Mid 60s vintage machine
-Mark

Last edited:
That is called a labyrinth.
One or more groves for the oil to sling or rooster tail off off.
Most spindles rarely use seals.
To high of an oil level is usually the cause but the wrong oil, excessive clearances, improperly adjusted bearings,missing parts can lead to excessive oil leakage.

Looking at the drawing I can see where just a little oil would be enough and just a little more is to much and leak.
I would consider sealed bearings.

No the 100 series does not have main spindle seals. In fact the 4800 Atlas/Clausing do not have any seals. The bearings use drip cup oilers that keep the bearings well oiled and clean. I have finally found rear bearing for my Clausing 100 Mk3. And will have it running again soon. these tapered roller bearings are hard to find in grade 3 any more. How ever I got 2 NOS left on the self of a supplier. You could probably use a standard grade bearing in these lathes. These days standard bearings are as good or better than class 3 bearings in the 40’s. Somebody suggested high speed Nascar wheel bearings would work just fine. A friend of mine used high speed standard grade tapered bearing in a Chinese mill and measured less than a .001 tir. You need to take into account modern steels and automated manufacturing today.
CH

I used to see felt like Woodchucker said. Another cure and I don't see if your machine has oilcups, but in thr old days you saw felt or pipe cleaner type wicks that let small drops of oil move slowly into the bearings or they had adjustable drip oilers in the pipe threads.

To get back to the original problem of oil leaking out, too much oil is messy and may indicate a missing or defective seal, but no oil will ruin a ball, roller or sleeve bearing in just a few minutes.

Looking at the drawing I can see where just a little oil would be enough and just a little more is to much and leak.
I would consider sealed bearings.
Can you get sealed cup/cone timken bearings? That would be nice in a number of applications, I just haven't run across them.

Sorry. Not in taper roller / ball bearings

Back