Clausing 1771 Drill Press Restoration

I picked up a Clausing variable speed drill press from a Craigslist ad. I offered the guy $200.00 and he accepted. The drill press was in decent overall condition, and had a new motor on it. I disassembled the machine and cleaned up and painted everything. Mechanically, it was in very good condition, and the only real repair work I did was to straighten a few of the handle arms. One really nice feature is the table lift, which works great on that heavy table (btw: the table doesn't have a single drill mark in it!)
This is my second Clausing variable speed drill press. The first one is in my metal shop, this one will be in my wood shop.
dp01.JPG
dp02.JPG

dp03.JPG

dp04.JPG

Jack
Fort Loramie, Ohio

I picked up a Clausing variable speed drill press from a Craigslist ad. I offered the guy $200.00 and he accepted. The drill press was in decent overall condition, and had a new motor on it. I disassembled the machine and cleaned up and painted everything. Mechanically, it was in very good condition, and the only real repair work I did was to straighten a few of the handle arms. One really nice feature is the table lift, which works great on that heavy table (btw: the table doesn't have a single drill mark in it!)
This is my second Clausing variable speed drill press. The first one is in my metal shop, this one will be in my wood shop.
View attachment 250732
View attachment 250733

View attachment 250734

View attachment 250735

Jack
Fort Loramie, Ohio
What a great project and a beautiful piece of a equipment. Congrats and thank you for showing the restore and before. Very impressed.

View attachment 250732
View attachment 250733

View attachment 250734

View attachment 250735

Jack
Fort Loramie, Ohio
Nice score...very nice score !

View attachment 250732
View attachment 250733

View attachment 250734

View attachment 250735

Jack
Fort Loramie, Ohio
Did you just paint it/ Was that all there was to it? Looks great in the end though.

View attachment 250732
View attachment 250733

View attachment 250734

View attachment 250735

Jack
Fort Loramie, Ohio

Nice score...very nice score !
Here are the badges on my two Clausing drill presses. The first one (originally green) is in my metal shop and I wanted to use it for tapping, so I put a 3 phase motor on it and a VFD. It will smoothly go from forward to reverse in less than a second. I paid $100 for this one at an auction.
View attachment 262211
View attachment 262212
View attachment 262213

The tag from my latest drill press (the one in the original post)
View attachment 262214

Great restoration, I have the same drill press and all the sudden it won't lower the quill past 1.5 in it's not locked on the side any ideas? Thanks David.

View attachment 250732
View attachment 250733

View attachment 250734

View attachment 250735

Jack
Fort Loramie, Ohio
Hey Jack great job I'm looking to find out some information I have the same drill press and paid $900 for it worked great for several years then one day I moved it from one shop to the next on the same property on a hand truck and then it would not lower past 1 and 1/2 in on the quill do you have any information or ideas on how I might be able to fix that without having to take it apart and I checked to make sure the stop is not on and it is not anything to do with the spring on the left or the stop function thank you

Here are the badges on my two Clausing drill presses. The first one (originally green) is in my metal shop and I wanted to use it for tapping, so I put a 3 phase motor on it and a VFD. It will smoothly go from forward to reverse in less than a second. I paid $100 for this one at an auction.
View attachment 262211
View attachment 262212
View attachment 262213

The tag from my latest drill press (the one in the original post)
View attachment 262214
I am a big fan of Clausing. I have 2 Clausing Lathes. One old one and one Very Old one. I am currently in the process of re assembling of the 5913. These old machines fed and clothed a lot of families over the years. I prefer them over most of the imports. Many families have come and gone since these machine tools were cast in sand molds. Especially the ones who cast them. But who am I to speak I am self-diagnosed with having an "Iron Deficiency"

I am a big fan of Clausing. I have 2 Clausing Lathes. One old one and one Very Old one. I am currently in the process of re assembling of the 5913. These old machines fed and clothed a lot of families over the years. I prefer them over most of the imports. Many families have come and gone since these machine tools were cast in sand molds. Especially the ones who cast them. But who am I to speak I am self-diagnosed with having an "Iron Deficiency"

I used to have a Clausing 5914 and really liked it, but sold it when a big Cincinnati came along.
Just last week, a local Craigslist ad had a Clausing table saw for sale. Apparently they made them in the 50s or so. I should of bought it, but I already have a couple table saws.

Jack

Back