Clausing 4900 purchase

DeadGuyAle

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I was on the verge of buying a PM 12x36T when this showed up 2 hours away.
Checked it out last Wednesday, spindle runout was about 2 tenths, ways appear to be in excellent condition.
No funny noises when running, all the feeds work
some tooling, quality 4 jaw, cheap 3 jaw. All in all appears to be a solid machine
4904 guessing around 1967 manufacture.
Single phase but it looks all original so not sure what the story is on that end.
774D1521-15C0-47AE-AC18-ADBF96A63A47.jpeg

Photos are from the ad, I pick it up next weekend and will get additional pictures.FD009C2F-B0F4-44B2-9B6D-374A5FD50CCA.jpeg

kind of pleased with how this is going so far, hopefully moving it should not be a big problem.
Going to make two 2’x2’ platforms with 5” castors and will bolt the pedestals to them.
Drop deck trailer is reserved so we can wheel it up and onto without a lot of drama.

Looking forward to giving it a good cleaning and inspection in the near future but it will be a few months before I get things setup and start using it.
Any input is welcomed as this is all pretty new to me.
Steve

Finished the deal over the weekend.
Rented a small drop deck trailer, made it’s way from Tennessee to Oregon somehow Nice trailer
537D1654-15E1-432B-9635-37486BA71AE5.jpeg
Made a couple platforms. 5” castor 2 layers 3/4” plywood
290BAB82-941D-409E-9A56-B84436BC27DB.jpeg
two hour drive, one hour to load and strap down
53E584A8-B765-4F33-B82F-FFFCF216F5D0.jpeg

Uneventful drive back home and unloaded
11546C1A-91A7-4DBF-80D9-D45AEF939773.jpeg
came with a cheap india made 3 jaw, and a nice US made 4 jaw
plus some other tooling, there is a jacobs super chuck in there
A0F7F973-34A6-4A0D-8995-C68E031F3D6A.jpeg

Now I have to finish painting the garage, install shelving, build work benches then I’ll start a serious cleaning and fix up project.

Nice that you were able to get a drop trailer and could just use dollies.

I have never been able to get a drop trailer in my area. Sunbelt doesn't really want to operate in Canada apparently

That is a cute little drop bed trailer, but that 1600 pound limit would be encountered frequently, in my experience.

Nice that you were able to get a drop trailer and could just use dollies.

I have never been able to get a drop trailer in my area. Sunbelt doesn't really want to operate in Canada apparently
Drop deck trailers are little scarce in this area but there are few around at least.
Generally booked out a couple weeks in advance if you need for the weekend so some
planning required. Find it odd that only a couple places rent them as they seem to be popular.

That is a cute little drop bed trailer, but that 1600 pound limit would be encountered frequently, in my experience.
Was a cute little trailer and smaller then I expected! Lathe was only 800 lbs and driveway was long and narrow so worked out well.
Rented a different single axle trailer when I moved my safes, 5000 lbs rated was substantially bigger.

materialYes it does. At least in Calgary and Vancouver.

[edit] at least 3 locations near you.

When I say that sunbelt doesn't really want to operate here I should have clarified.

I meant to say, IF you are not a low rise production homebuilder seeking long term rentals Sunbelt does not really want your business, as demonstrated by both their customer service, lack of product availability for short term rentals and their outrageous prices.

I say this having tried to rent trailers and gantry cranes from them repeatedly with no success as private individual. However as a corporate entity I have much greater success renting scaffolding, man lifts and atrium lifts from them.

In general rental services are so poor and unreliable here in TO that it was worth the money to buy a gantry for the 2-3 times a year we need it. That is our lived reality and people should know it if they are planning to rig and move their own machine tools.

You can't even get a trailer that is really reserved when they say it is reserved at uhaul.

Back