Clausing 4904 Restoration Thread

Chuck, send me a PM with your email and I can forward you the manual for the 4904. The back gear is as easy as flipping the lever in the back of the headstock and pulling the pin at the end of the spindle.

Bob

Bob, Thanks for the manual. I didn't see the pin on the end of the spindle. I'm not familiar with clausings so I never thought to look there.

Chuck

I spent some time over the last few days getting the VFD installed into its enclosure. I'm happy with the way it came out. I did have to dummy up a board to mount it to until I get the machine over to the wall where I can mount the enclosure more permanently but this will do for the time being. The enclosure is a 8x12x7" with clear front. I cut the aluminum plate the VFD is bolted to on the CNC Plasma at school which was a nice easy first project with that. I needed the practice on the software so I figured what the heck. I used liquid tight connectors for the conduit and it came out great. I'm not looking forward to undoing it when I start the cleaning and painting process, but I will get over that. Right now the VFD is wired to control forward, stop, and reverse from the lathe switch, and the next external control will be a pot for the variable speed which I think I might mount right on the front of the enclosure. I do like how Kenny has his wired, so having the knob on the front of the lathe is a possiblity too. Some pics of my progress...

2013-03-08_15-39-39_345.jpg 2013-03-08_15-39-48_338.jpg 2013-03-08_15-44-02_352.jpg 2013-03-08_16-26-57_93.jpg 2013-03-09_12-45-11_382.jpg 2013-03-09_13-43-47_695.jpg 2013-03-09_15-25-54_454.jpg 2013-03-09_15-26-09_200.jpg

Everything looks great Bob, any luck finding a pot yet? Offer still stands if you want me to send you one...

Having the pot mounted in the belt cover has been very convenient, just be sure to add a plug so you can remove the cover easily if you go that route.

"Right now the VFD is wired to control forward, stop, and reverse from the lathe switch, and the next external control will be a pot for the variable speed which I think I might mount right on the front of the enclosure."

Bob, I'm curious...how do you have the vfd wired to the control? I was under the impression that you couldn't have a switch between the vfd and the motor.

Chuck

Chuck,

I was under the same impression until I looked at the VFD instructions and got some guidance from others here. The switch is merely a control device. It doesn't power the VFD. The forward stop reverse switch is just that.. a switch and you program a control parameter that allows the VFD to be controlled by the switch (low voltage). Just like the potentiometer... one can be added externally and the parameter can be set to allow the pot to control the RPM. Its very cool how it works.

Kenny, I haven't had a chance to look for pots yet.. thats next. I shouldnt have any problem finding one. I'm debating on where to put it. I'll dummy it up and see where I like it best. Thanks!

Thats really interesting. I have a 1 hp Chinese vfd sitting on the shelf that I could power my clausing with. I kind of dismissed the idea because I didn't want to give up the original controller. Sounds like I have options.

Chuck

Thats really interesting. I have a 1 hp Chinese vfd sitting on the shelf that I could power my clausing with. I kind of dismissed the idea because I didn't want to give up the original controller. Sounds like I have options.

Chuck
Chuck, there are lots of threads here detailing how to rewire the drum switch to control the VFD.

I did some minor things over the last few days on the lathe, mostly tidying up and I had the graphics teacher at school make these decals up for me. I'm still on the fence with them as far as the look I was going for, but I think they will work.

2013-03-11_16-45-22_330.jpg

Back