Clausing (6300?) ways look bad?

It's tough to find good old machines like this in great condition. Nothing lasts forever and these things were made to be used.
Creampuffs are out there but they are few and far between
-Mark

pending possible sale tells you what you need to know :) Usually by the time people ask on here about a lathe or mill it's already sold..

You want to check out and make sure the variable speed drive works. Also make sure the decal for the threads on the quick change box is good. These are both weak points on this lathe. A plus is all the gears in the quick change box run in oil.

Probably a step-pulley machine since no levers visible on the front .
I have one of these in the que. Very well made machine and I agree the bed doesn't appear worm, just beat up like the front way was used as a lazy worker's anvil.
Love the tooling especially since L00 stuff isn't available at the corner hardware store anymore.

Not preaching here,just some observations;

Not everyone who stands in front of a machine all day, week in week out is an "enthusiast". It ain't called "work" for nothing. These machines were made to do one thing,make money. Irrespective of how the end user wants to care for it.

Just sayin,because a machine was used hard and put up wet..... dosen't mean there isn't some life($$$ making ability) left. Having said that....

Old lathes that have been relegated to "grinding and welding" fabrication, usually means they're put out to pasture on their original precision side of things. As far as keeping them spotlessly clean? Mine aren't. Yes,I understand about the processes and precision.... but they don't make conveyor chip removal systems for no reason. Wish I had one.

Just an update. Appears it was sold as expected. It wss close enough to go take a good look. Probably a good late for me but now I’ll never know! lol

thanks to everyone for the advice!

There will be more. If you can find someone who is retiring ,sometimes the equipment is in nice shape. Or estate sales can be a good find. They will show up when you least expect it.

If someone else bought it, thank your lucky star.
Wow. So am I to assume you really didn’t like the look of those ways? Or was there something else you didn’t like?
Important info for the future…

The machine would have been a money pit if you wanted to do anything 1/2 way precision. If the ways look that bad, the tailstock is pointing down, the crosslide ways are worse as they are shorter, think of what the bottom of the saddle looks like as it is what runs on that mess of a bed. and it's 1/3 shorter.. If your were buying to "fix" it up I am estimating you could spend 3000.00 by a pro. $1000.00 yourself. The feed screws, who knows what it looked like inside the base. Maybe rat nests. I've seen that happen. Think of it as a car on a used car lot. Banged up, filthy would you buy that and not sure the engine runs, all rusty? I wouldn't take it as a gift. Keep looking. If you were going to use it on lawn mowre parts to polish the shafts, nothing precision over .005" buy a new Harbor Freight.

Last edited:
Back