Cleaning electrical contacts

Been repairing electronics for a living for 40years my go to is a pencil eraser if I can get it in there, if not very fine wet&dry with alcohol, especially if the contacts are very dirty. If they are pitted new switch/relay.

Don't use valsoline on contacts it is flammable and an arch can cause it go boom.

Been repairing electronics for a living for 40years my go to is a pencil eraser if I can get it in there, if not very fine wet&dry with alcohol, especially if the contacts are very dirty. If they are pitted new switch/relay.

Don't use valsoline on contacts it is flammable and an arch can cause it go boom.
Used Vaseline for 40 years, on all contacts in all types of medium voltage (up to 450V) motor starting and control gear, controlling motors up to 200hp, so Plenty of heat, and plenty of arcing1 No explosins were noted......................

Don't know much about vaseline or other petroleum based lubes for contacts, but I will offer a cautionary note ...
DO NOT be tempted to use any kind of silicone based lube on contacts. Silicone oxidizes to silicon dioxide (glass), a very effective insulator.

Don't know much about vaseline or other petroleum based lubes for contacts, but I will offer a cautionary note ...
DO NOT be tempted to use any kind of silicone based lube on contacts. Silicone oxidizes to silicon dioxide (glass), a very effective insulator.
AGREE .... Years ago, when silicone sprays first showed up, we started to have equipment problems. Finally one of the manufacturers reps showed up and told us "never use silicone sprays NEAR any elec contact surfaces .. silicone causes contact failures"

My opinion:
1) high current contacts that arc need filing, sanding, polishing, etc. Not cleaner.
2) low level contacts like signals, sensors, multi-pin connectors, etc. can benefit from cleaner, though I have been unimpressed compared to just mechanically mating and unmating a few times, maybe scrubbing with a pencil eraser.
3) here is a terrific liquid product that has worked remarkably well in restoring old eBay electronics - Stabilant 22. It’s relatively expensive, but a tiny amount goes a long long way. Check it out.

You should never use a file or anything abrasive on electrical contacts as you will remove any protective coating and damage the polished surface. If you rough up the contact with anything abrasive you create pits and wind up decreasing the contact-to-contact surface area. WD 40 contact cleaner is what I use, and for a soiled contact, I use strips of newspaper soaked with the WD40 to burnish the contact and clean. Once clean and dry, use ElectroLube to wet the contact.

You should never use a file or anything abrasive on electrical contacts as you will remove any protective coating and damage the polished surface. If you rough up the contact with anything abrasive you create pits and wind up decreasing the contact-to-contact surface area. WD 40 contact cleaner is what I use, and for a soiled contact, I use strips of newspaper soaked with the WD40 to burnish the contact and clean. Once clean and dry, use ElectroLube to wet the contact.
read the post above!, absolutely pointless spraying contact cleaner into a 3 phase star delta starter with burnt contacts!! you get the file out! you have obviously never seen the inside of a large motor starter, what works for electronics is totally useless in heavy electrical engineering!

We ALWAYS used Vaseline, we never used anything else. I have over 40 years of practical experience of use to back up what I have said. you are just regurgitating what you have been told, hearsay evidence. Vaseline does not catch fire, or explode!!

Need to throw my "old school" knowledge in here. It so distresses me to see all this "new fangled" stuff mentioned. [We] had archaic overhead bridge cranes, the control contacts referred to as "street car" controllers. The power contactors were rated NEMA Size 1 up to NEMA Size 5, about the size of a silver dollar. DC, 280 Volt most of it. We occasionally had trouble with AC contacts on motor starters. NEMA Size 1 and smaller. Just replaced the contacts if they were burnt. High voltage stuff mostly had fuse jacks or oil starters. But that for the high horse power 2300 and 4160 volt equipment.

Electricians carried a coarse half round file and a rubber commutator cleaner to dress contacts. Sandpaper was NEVER used, it left grains of sand in the copper. And sometimes conductive grains if you happened to grab a piece of emery cloth. An Isopropyl based contact cleaner if it was handy. Compressed air otherwise, but watch out for moisture.

For instrumentation contacts and relays, I usually used heavy typewriter paper or a dollar bill. Currency paper is a better abrasive than typewriter paper. In later years(early 80s), I was working on a hard drive at Majuro, in the Marshall Islands. Old style hard drive, by CDC, 18x36x30 inches or so. A 9 platter 18 head back-up drive. Had a faulty motor starter relay. I showed the "system administrator" how to dress the contacts. All I had handy was a US $100 note, traveling money. I told him a $10 would work, just not as well. He took me serious, went looking for a $100 note to keep in the office. I laughed all the way to Ponape, my next stop.

A final note, always use an Isopropyl contact cleaner, never "Trichloro-anything". It will melt plastics. Won't hurt bakelite on old equipment, but will melt even high tech plastics. BTW, Vaseline won't catch fire, but it does attract/hold grit. Not a good move.

Bill Hudson​

Last edited:
Back