Cleaning electrical contacts

if you use a new or a dedicated fine toothed file, you can dress contacts easily.
i have a file that is used only for contacts.

contact tips can be replaced on a lot of the old AB contactors.
if you can get me the size and model, i may even have a set laying around the house ;)
if not we can get a set

+1 with ulma doctor also with the sand paper. I’m an electrician by trade I use contact cleaner mainly to clean parts not so much contacts once they start welding you have to smooth the contact surface

contact tips can be replaced on a lot of the old AB contactors.
if you can get me the size and model, i may even have a set laying around the house ;)
if not we can get a set
It’s crazy how throw away things have become the only gear I replace contacts on are my 2000a switchies. I can damn near buy a whole size 5 starter for the price of just the contacts. I can damn near buy a whole pump panel for the price of a contactor/starter

You are maybe better supplied with spare parts than we are . A lot of the gear I used to service was in good order, and old quality equipment far better than most of the cr*p you buy today, but parts like spare contacts are getting hard to source. Have worked on Allan Bradley, Alan West, and mainly MEM starters, but also remember some of the old Ellison oil filled resistance starters with the all copper sliding contacts. I have always used Vaseline, never used a dielectric grease, but not saying you can't use it, best ask the manufacturers. They definitely arc less when "greased" bot only a smear!!

I took to using strips of foam backed sandpaper a few years ago and like it. It is available from body shop suppliers in very fine grits like 2000 and 4000. The idea of the foam backing is to imagine the paper forming to the dome shape of the points and providing a light pressure when sandwiched between the points. Whether it does or not is beyond me but after using spray, files, and flex stones over the years, the body shop sandpaper is now my favourite. It allows me to use a fresh piece every time and prevent contamination on the points.

CRC makes my go to electrical cleaners. It can be found in most auto parts & hardware stores. Polish contacts with 400 wet/dry paper first, fold a piece 2 or 3 times lift contact, let it close & scrub. Use CRC then blow out to clear residue & dry. OH, BE SURE TO TURN OFF POWER FEED FIRST.

For old switches like headlight switches, rotary barrel switches, etc., the coolest way to renew them is to blast with glass beads at medium pressure, and then clean with compressed air (leave the whole part assembled!). Works amazing, even on plastics, bakelite, painted surfaces. Sounds aggressive, but is really gentle. The results are fantastic. Won't do you any good if the switch is still installed on the machine, though.

Back