Cleanup

Yours has the thicker ways. It shows some scoring, but I've certainly seen worse. Does it have wipers where the carriage meets the ways? The gib is on the very back side of the carriage. It has 4 adjusting screws with lock nuts. May take a few walks around the park to get a the feel for getting it to where it needs to be, but it's not all that difficult. Mike

It has the wipers, and took them off to clean and oil them.
Will have a go at the gibs little difficult to get to, but if I run the carriage to the end I think it's doable.

Will let you know when I get it done

Not recommending this because I don’t know the answer.

Would it be safe to use a Scotchbrite pad with a random orbital sander with WD40 on the flat surfaces?

Checked the gibs, backed off 2 of them a quarter turn, center 2 were loose not even locked down. Carrage still a little tight, but 1000 percent better. 20 wt oil arrived today, spent the day oiling and lubing. Those little screws are a pain. Checked the change geartrain, found one gear loose.
Checked everything, chucked up a old half in bolt, and mommasan hollars dinnertime. Guess making chips will wait another day.

I'll offer a comment to help minimize "crud" build up on your lathe, or any other precision machine. Any time are not using it keep it lightly covered with an old CLOTH bed sheet. DO NOT USE PLASTIC, or you can get condensation. You'll be amazed how much airborne contaminants will cover machined surfaces.

Being it's in a unheated garage, is there anything special for it during the winter months?

Using way oil and keeping it covered with something breathable will stop rust and keep abrasive dust, welding dust etc from accumulating. We had some sunbrella fabric from another project to make a cover for my lathe and it has worked perfect. While everything around it that’s uncovered rusts and gets dirty my machines my wife has made covers for remain perfect until I get back to using them. I like stiffer cloth like sunbrella and other stuff better than old sheets because I find it doesn’t cling to the machines so is easier to cover and uncover.

After cleaning and lubing and adjusting and tightening and..etc...ladies and gentlemen, we have chips!!
Just a few, and still much more to do, backlash, reducing noise level, yada yada, but there is encouraging progress.
Thank you all for all the wonderful help, and you may be answering someone else,the Information prolly answered several of mine.

Condition is fairly good, but my garage is not the ideal place for it as its unheated.
There is some discolored spots on the bed and I'm wondering if it might have to do with the carriage being difficult.
A 25W light bulb under the lathe will keep the humidity demons at bay.

Last edited:
Back