[4]

Winner Clock

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WMello

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I'm building a clock and have posted messages about it at several different places on this forum. It was suggested to me to move to this area (horology) so, here it is. First some pictures already posted elsewhere, then the progress from this weekend. I will continue to update it as things progresses.

Hope not to be boring,

Wagner

francist

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Nice, very nice work. Thanks for putting up the pictures Wagner, they're really nice to look at.

-frank

coffmajt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Beautiful work - thanks for the good video and pics == Jack

TommyD

Registered
Very nice we ork, indeed. I have been looking for a mentor of your caliber in my area. I have worked on tooling that made springs 100 years ago and walked the floors of old CT clock makers. Terry, Sessions, look at clockmaking in Bristol, CT and I probably have a story. Good to see modern methods utilized for a hand made product. I'm looking for a mentor such as you in my area, I have a TON of old clocks. You a NAWACC member?

W

WMello

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Hi TommyD, thank you.

This is my first real clock (made one in wood before). Just a amateur.

Wagner

TommyD

Registered
Stoopit fat fingers makes me look like a spelling goof.

You are good and patient. I suggest if not a member of NAWACC you look into it, maybe only for shiats and giggles but you never know. You can probably add a LOT to an area chapter

David S

Active User
Stoopit fat fingers makes me look like a spelling goof.

You are good and patient. I suggest if not a member of NAWACC you look into it, maybe only for shiats and giggles but you never know. You can probably add a LOT to an area chapter
So Tommy are you a member of NAWCC? I am. Just curious.

David

TommyD

Registered
I was. Unfortunately the closest chapters were 2 hours away. I have written them 3 times, with no response from them, a bout possible mentors near me. It frustrates me, I have a lot of old clocks and have a tool making background. I want to keep these old clocks alive but am frustrated in not having a mentor OR a close fellow to figger this stuff out. I grew up in CT clockmaking history, Bristol,CT. goofed around with tooling that made springs in the 1800's a dhave a bunch of clocks.

I see in you someone that is apparently patient and a great mentor in a dying art.

David S

Active User
Tommy I am a member of the NAWCC in Canada. If I can help locate a contact near you, let me know.

David

TommyD

Registered
Any help would be appreciated.

I go to a flea market occassionally where a retired clock repairer displays his wares, I have told him of my frustrations contacting National for assistance. We've discussed clocks and he said if we weren't so far apart he'd help me out. NAWCC recently sent me a letter asking me why I was no longer a member, I emailed membership telling them why and have got nothing, again, in return. Really wasn't expecting anything from past experiences.

master of none

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Very impressive,that is just amazing,you sir are a true craftsman and thank you for the videos .

chips&more

Active User
Registered
I was. Unfortunately the closest chapters were 2 hours away. I have written them 3 times, with no response from them, a bout possible mentors near me. It frustrates me, I have a lot of old clocks and have a tool making background. I want to keep these old clocks alive but am frustrated in not having a mentor OR a close fellow to figger this stuff out. I grew up in CT clockmaking history, Bristol,CT. goofed around with tooling that made springs in the 1800's a dhave a bunch of clocks.

I see in you someone that is apparently patient and a great mentor in a dying art.
I have been a NAWCC member for about 40+ years. Contacting the main chapter is probably only going to get you a response to sign up for a workshop or two. Which might be a good thing for you. They have the workshops all over the country at different times of the year. If you are mechanically minded, I would just jump in with a little reading from 101 clock repair book…Have Fun, Dave.

TommyD

Registered
Yeah, probably will have to, I have some books and videos and a number of clocks needing some kind of attention.

Sorry to hijack your thread WMello, your work struck a chord in me.

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Wow ! very nice cnc equipment- very nicely done.
you should be very proud! :grin:

David S

Active User
Yeah, probably will have to, I have some books and videos and a number of clocks needing some kind of attention.

Sorry to hijack your thread WMello, your work struck a chord in me.
Tom sent you a PM. Also strongly suggest you visit the NAWCC message board. Lot's of great folks with all kinds of experience helping others. Just like this one.

David

David S

Active User
very nice work. Are you using a single point cutter? If so did you make your own?

David

W

WMello

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Hi David,

Yes, it is a single point cutter made this morning.
Made from W1 steel. Rough cut on the mill with 10° clearance, finished on the CNC, adjusted with a dremel and heat treated.
It's not perfect, and on the final passes of the second wheel it was already more or less dull. I noticed the router droping about 500 RPM on the cuts.
But did the job.

Wagner

Status
Not open for further replies.
[5] [7]