CNC electrical cabinet size?

Kev-in

Registered
Registered
I am looking for a relatively cheap electrical cabinet enclosure to house my DMM power supplies, acorn board and all of related electrical wiring and parts. I see some are using a 24x20x12 size cabinet, but they are difficult to find or very expensive.

What size can I realistically get away with? Any links to products or pictures of your setup would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Kevin

That's about the size of the cabinet for my CNC router. Could have made it smaller but it also contains the VFD, three power supplies, and I didn't want to be cramped for space.
This shot is before I added all the cable glands to the lower left side and ran all of the motor wiring and Ethernet connection.

31ec0c3f72668c29bf709c404d9565e3.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe build one. I would not go with less than 24x24x12, shorting yourself on panel real estate is a bad idea. Amazon may have some good deals, that's where I buy most of my enclosures these days. Also look at AliExpress.

This is a 24x20 back panel. Way too small for this hardware, but it's what I had on the shelf and also fit in the space I had to put it.
1708649635822.png

My lathe power cabinet.
1708649863379.png

And my mill panel 30x36
1708650190407.png

Remember that the cabinet has to shed heat from the electronics. Don’t go too small or you will have to use active cooling.

What’s not visible in my cabinet are the two, 5” computer fans exhausting air out the top of the enclosure.

Jim,

Which zip-tie mounts are you using, and do you find that they stay stuck for the life of the panel? It looks like the stick-on variety anyway, maybe you're using screws that I can't see.

I've not had good luck in general with the self-sticking mounts, and I've seen people post about removing the stock adhesive and using 3M heavy duty stuff but that sounds like a pain. So I was just wondering...

Cheers,
-Doug

I think those are Commercial Electric, available at Home Depot. They really don't stick all that well. But if you install them so the wires are not pulling on the pads they do work pretty well.

I don't normally use these for panel builds. But I was so limited on space that I was not able to use wireway as I normally would, as in this build.

1708663283425.png

They really don't stick all that well.

Bummer, I was hoping... I like wireway, but there are some instances where holding a couple of wires or a sleeved bundle somewhere would be handy without having to drill through the door or side of the enclosure. Maybe some 3D printed anchors and the spiffy 3M tape is worth a try.

Thanks for the feedback!

-Doug

I bought these to do DRO cable management on my mill and they seem to do the trick.
One thing that I do is to clean the surface very well. I wipe with IPA before applying the holddown.

Back