CNC electrical cabinet size?

On our new rolling mill, the builder used a 4x6 enclosure for the din rail that the 2 roll heaters (3 x 500 watt elements each) plus the 2 plate heaters, total of 12 wires and grounds. Ugly! No room. I had that replaced with a 12x12, and even that is tight. They have since added 4 TC wire pairs. I should of specified 12x18! The control cabinets are just the opposite. 2 large double door units with active chillers.
I like large roomy enclosures!
Pierre

My first build was a 20x20 box and that was too cramped for me. My current build is a steel cabinet from amazon. It's huge but I am super happy with it.

Screenshot_20240223-195843_Chrome.jpg
20230119_112522.jpg

Well, I guess that is one way to get enough room!

Maybe build one. I would not go with less than 24x24x12, shorting yourself on panel real estate is a bad idea. Amazon may have some good deals, that's where I buy most of my enclosures these days. Also look at AliExpress.

This is a 24x20 back panel. Way too small for this hardware, but it's what I had on the shelf and also fit in the space I had to put it.
View attachment 479721

My lathe power cabinet.
View attachment 479722

And my mill panel 30x36
View attachment 479723
Hi Jim,
Thank you for the pictures and cabinet info. I have finishing off my list of DMM equipment and related parts to build my 3 axis mill. I am going to wait for all the parts to arrive and lay them out to see if they will fit comfortably in a 24 x 24 area. If they do, I will order the Vevor 24x24x12 cabinet.
I’m impressed with your wiring!
Thank you for your assistance it’s much appreciated.
Kevin

Whatever you think---bigger than that. That's always been my experience with electrical enclosures. Oh, and consider getting a label maker that can do heat shrink.
I’m shopping for a label maker that can do heat shrink. Definitely a nice to have tool.

Hi Jim,
Thank you for the pictures and cabinet info. I have finishing off my list of DMM equipment and related parts to build my 3 axis mill. I am going to wait for all the parts to arrive and lay them out to see if they will fit comfortably in a 24 x 24 area. If they do, I will order the Vevor 24x24x12 cabinet.
I’m impressed with your wiring!
Thank you for your assistance it’s much appreciated.
Kevin
Thank you for the kind words. My pleasure to help out.

I have a Brother P-touch label maker similar to this one <<Linky. Brother says it can't be used for heat shrink but I used mine for just such a purpose when I built my 3D printer. I ordered this tape <<Linky and it worked absolutely fine.
The one nit I have about Brother label makers is they waste some label material at the beginning and end of the print. I assume that is their way of making extra money by selling more label tape. I get around that via buying aftermarket label tape at 1/3 the cost.

+1 on the Vevor enclosures. I bought one to house a couple of VFDs. It is well made and I'm very happy with it, especially for the price.
I'd also go as big as possible, I learned my lesson having wired up several enclosures that were tight...
I have a Dymo, handheld labeler that does heat shrink. It works but I found it slow and a bit cumbersome to use. Also, the heat shrink cartridges are expensive. I find it a lot faster, easier, and less expensive to use the preprinted, adhesive backed, wire markers.

Last edited:
Back