Collaborative Help Wanted !!!!!

here are pictures of the 3D printed brackets

IMG_4514.jpg

IMG_4513.jpg

IMG_4512.jpg

drawing

front bracket version 2.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not a candidate to do the cnc work but would suggest that you provide more details on your innovation up front.
thank you,
i'm sorry if it sounds vague.
there was a question in my mind as to the feasibility of the project
i didn't want to waste anyone's time if the job was more difficult to convert to cnc, than making them manually

Those brackets do not look like anything that needs to be done by CNC. At least from the views you showed us.
All of that would not be bad to do on a manual mill.

"Those who do not know what cannot be accomplished, are free to accomplish anything."

I really believe in your sig, Never tell a Polack it cant be done, cuz I never went to no fancy schools to learn it cant be done.

Last edited:
Mike,
I do not have the equipment to help you, or much knowledge in CNC but I do have a few thoughts.......

I believe the g-code is machine specific.
That is, the g-code produced for your 3D-printer, may not work on my 3D-printer.

A true 3D solid model (from Solid Works, Fusion-360, Cubify, OnShape, FreeCad and many others) can be turned into g-code but that happens with the specifics of the target machine in mind. The machine specs and the model are inputs, the g-code is the output.

Have you thought about using your 3D-printed part as pattern for green-sand casting in aluminum?
Alternately there's a lost-PLA type casting as well.

-brino
Thanks brino, your information is valued!

i'll admit the process of lost plastic casting and sand casting intrigue me.
i'll seriously consider the possibilities! :)
thanks for the ideas!

There is no way to convert the 3D printer g-code to CNC g-code, they are completely different.

Since you say there is room to modify the design for manufacturability there are a few things to make it easier.

Those brackets do not look like anything that needs to be done by CNC. At least from the views you showed us.
All of that would not be bad to do on a manual mill.

I really believe in your sig, Never tell a Polack it cant be done, cuz I never went to no fancy schools to learn it cant be done.
you are 100% correct, i could make these parts manually !

i was hoping to turn a couple designs, that i pulled out of my imagination and then transferred the thoughts to a digital platform.
that is incredibly profound and life changing to me.

i wanted to take the variability of my hand and defy its effect on the purity of the digital representation.
if the digital representation and working model could easily be copied, it may open other avenues of thought on my part
moreover it may also challenge skills of not only me, but the partner in crime benefits by honing the skills waiting to be used on frivolity :grin big:
in other words, i like the perfection of cnc produced products, i cannot achieve the same feel by hand

There is no way to convert the 3D printer g-code to CNC g-code, they are completely different.

Since you say there is room to modify the design for manufacturability there are a few things to make it easier.
Thank you for the information!

i would love to hear any thoughts as to how you may tackle the challenge :grin:

Learning new things is a lot of what we are all about.

I fully understand your desires. It is not about the destination but the journey. Good luck.

If you have the STL files, most 3D cad programs can import the STL to get you started on making a real model. It is best to have the parts drawn natively in whichever CAD software you chose. Once you have that done then the parts can be run thru a CAM program or just dimensioned drawings made which any machinist can use to make the parts.

If you have the STL files, most 3D cad programs can import the STL to get you started on making a real model. It is best to have the parts drawn natively in whichever CAD software you chose. Once you have that done then the parts can be run thru a CAM program or just dimensioned drawings made which any machinist can use to make the parts.
thank you for the great information!!!

Back