Collet Compatability

34_40

Just a beginner
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Are 3 SB collets the same as 3C? What about 1 or 3 AT?

Are these really all the same ?

That looks like a good question; it has 54 "views" right now, but no responses.
Let me check a couple old catalog and see if I can find anything.....I'll post back if I do.
-brino

hey 34_40,

You might want to check-out this thread:
http://hobby-machinist.com/threads/is-there-a-definitive-article-on-collets.36227/

specifically:
-the Harding catalog in post #4
-the "Collets Measurements.pdf" file attached to post #18

Note: I am NOT saying they have the exact answer to your question, it is just where I currently am in investigating the answer......and I'm still looking!

Big thanks to user Uglydog for both of those!

-brino

Are 3 SB collets the same as 3C? What about 1 or 3 AT?

Are these really all the same ?
3AT collets are definitely not the same as 3C collets. I recently sold some of each. At a quick glance they look the same, but they have different taper angles and slightly different drawbar thread sizes. They are not interchangeable. I am not familiar with 3 SB collets but it might be a South Bend proprietary name for 3C collets, not sure about that...

Last edited:
The best resources for collet identification and specifications are older Machinery Handbooks. At least the 10th and 13th editions have a section dedicated to collets. I don't know if any newer or older editions contain the same information. I have a reprint of the first edition which does not have this information. Neither do my 22nd, 26th, or 27th editions.

And thanks for the help so far! I guess it was / is a good question as I saw the numbers of folks looking but, I guess I haven't found the right person with the answers (yet).
I'll have to look at themach. handbook my friend has too.

Thanks for all the replies! I'll keep searchin' for an answer.

That ebay picture makes it look like the 3SB and 1A might be the same - if money were no object, I'd try to buy that setup and find out.. But, that won't happen! LOL...

Thanks for the info DV.

Back