Collet Compatability

Hi 34_40,

As promised I went to my local used tool place to see if they still had the SB collet stuff I saw previously.....yep still there.

The taper adapter:
adaptor1.jpg adaptor2.jpg

adaptor3.jpg adaptor4.jpg
Unfortunately the (original!) box was unreadable after the years. I even loaded the original photo in PhotoShop and tried to enhance it.
What I could read was:
South Bend [logo]
SPINDLE SLEEVE
MT ...........

I found a Morse taper drill bit and confirmed it fit the inner taper, 90% sue it was MT3.

The draw bar:
drawbar1.jpg drawbar2.jpg
I removed and measured the collet that was in it and saw this:
measured.jpg
note: my measurements were scribbled onto a printed copy of the pdf document form post #5 above for the 3C collet. A check mark indicates that I measured the same as the drawing shows.

I should have checked the draw bar outer taper to the adaptor sleeve outer taper; but didn't.

The collets:
collets1.jpg collets2.jpg
I only noticed while putting this post together that one of them says "Hardinge 1A".
I wish I has tried that one in the draw bar and/or measured it.

the spindle nose-nut:
nosenut.jpg

Not sure if this gives any answers or just creates more questions....

-brino

As I mentioned above, the Hardinge 1A is identical to a 3C or 3, except for the overall length. Which the 1A collet is exactly 1/8" shorter.
I have both 1A and 3C collets in my collection of collets for my 9" South Bend Lathe. If you can find a older edition of the Machinery's Handbook, there is a couple of pages devoted to the many variations of collets that were made at sometime over the years. I wish they would put that section back in the handbook.

Brino, thanks for posting your findings. Did you buy the collet setup?

Ken

Thank you both for all the help and information. I never realized there were so many different sizes that were the same but different.
I'm not sure what I'll do to gather "a set" of collets".

And the xmas season has taken most of the "disposable" income.. so I won't make a move for a little time yet.

Back